Author Topic: rope style bow string?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline bushboy

rope style bow string?
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:04:21 pm »
So I made a rope style bow string ,3 strands containig 4 pieces of b55 in each strand for a total of 12 . Then eye spliced a loop on one end and a timber hitch on the other.I don't think this is a flemish twist,albeit close(don't know how to make one of those ).it looks very close to a flemish twist but I think the eye spliced makes it different.maybe I'm wrong ?I worked in the offshore fishery for many years and this was one method that I used regulary.your thought.thx's
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

Re: rope style bow string?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:32:06 pm »
It is different but the end result is pretty much the same.  Normally we twist the tail ends into the body of the string while twisting the two or three bundles together  while forming an eye with rope has the ends more or less braided back into the already twisted main part.
 Forming the loop like a rope eye splice likely makes the doubled section a bit bulkier.

Offline gianluca100

Re: rope style bow string?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:13:02 am »
I've been doing that for years: laying in the first loop and splicing or braiding back the second loop. If you work properly and stagger the ends while splicing you hardly notice the difference between the two loops.

ciao,
gian-luca