Author Topic: Privet Bow in Progress  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Mike Joe

Privet Bow in Progress
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:45:08 pm »
Hey guys, this is the tree I posted the other day, because I wasn't sure what it was. ( Thanks Pat B, and Okie64 ) ;) It is 70" long, with a 4" handle, 1 3/4 wide at the fades with 3/4" tips. I'm going for 40-50# range @ 28". It has some natural deflex at the handle, so I floor tillered it, then added some reflex and heat treated it. This is my third bow so I may need some help, or advise along the way. The first two pictures are before and after I added the reflex. Then one of the back and belly. Hopefully the pictures will cooperate this time.  Let me know what you think.
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline steve b.

Re: Privet Bow in Progress
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:08:29 pm »
I don't know what wood it is but I love the looks of that stave!

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:52:47 pm »
Im lookn forward to following this!  I have a privet stave waiting for me in the garage.  Good luck!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 12:13:11 am »
Thanks guys :) I got it tillered today. Privet is my favorite wood that i've worked with so far. I don't know for sure what it weighs but I'm guessing just shy of forty pounds. I should be getting a scale pretty soon. I heat treated it after tillering, so I'm hoping it will pick up a little more weight. The first picture was the first time I put it on the tillering tree. Afterwards I got it bending mid limb, then started weakening the limbs. The second picture shows it braced at four inches. After I got it to a low brace I drew it back about six inches. The right limb was a little stronger, so I evened them out. Then I took it to a full brace, and I just had to tweak it a little bit. I think the tiller looks pretty good, but if you see something wrong please point it out. It took quite a bit of set, but I think heat treating it after I got it braced would have helped some. I think that every time I work on a bow I'm learning some more, and I think it will start showing in my work. Thanks for looking :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 08:07:27 am »
Excellent job for just your second bow Mike.That bows' back has some really nice character.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:09:38 am »
Sorry reread it.Your third bow I mean.Whatever.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:21:00 am »
That's looking real good!!! I agree with steve b, love the looks of the back profile and your full draw pics.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline danny f

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 08:43:57 am »
i have made a couple of privet bows, i like it. just careful sanding on those little bumps on the back. my last one failed because i slightly sanded through a couple of them.

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 11:05:20 am »
Before I started tillering I was worried those knots wouldn't hold up when I started bending them, but I'm glad they did. I was toasting the belly last night and I got a little bit carried away, and scorched the bottom limb. So when I strung it this morning I heard a crunch, and my heart sank. I thought I had cracked a limb, so I looked it over real good and didn't find anything. When I tried to string it the second time I heard it again. Puzzled I looked at the ground and realized the bottom limb was sitting in some pine needles. I was glad nobody was watching. ;D I finally got it strung and shot a few arrows through it. I've definitely got a new favorite bow.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 11:11:51 am »
Very nice.  Good example of why it's important to see the unbraced profile to judge the tiller correctly.  Full draw looks great to my eyes.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:12:43 am »
Looking good, nice job of getting it bending evenly through though those knotty areas on the back. You got ya a good bow outta that stave Mike Joe. Looks smooth!
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 11:39:18 am »
Great job.  Looks like you've got the bug.  Hope to see more soon.  Keep up the great work

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 12:45:32 pm »
Thanks everyone, I never would have started making bows without this site, I remember the first time I picked up a PA magazine and thought, "People still make bows out of wood?" That's when I got hooked. ;)