Author Topic: splicing lamination question?  (Read 3039 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
splicing lamination question?
« on: December 10, 2007, 05:51:16 pm »
When you are using tapered laminations, what joint do you use to splice them together.  And how do you do it so that all the joints are not the same place in the middle? 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: splicing lamination question?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:02:01 pm »
I have never spliced laminations. They are usually made from dimensional lumber and cheap and easy to come by in longer lengths. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:17:21 pm »
Well the lams that I have are of bamboo flooring and only 36" long.  The are tapered from 3/16 to 1/16 over 36".  So unless I am building a very very short bow......lol....I think I have better splice these......hehehehehe......but now if you have some bamboo flooring that is about 70" long??????????  I sure would love to chat with you ;D

Slivershooter

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:04:45 pm »
 I overlap the butt ends about an inch (or wherever your desired thickness is) and cut both ends at the same time with a chop/miter saw, this gives you the same angle and a perfect match on both ends.  Make sure the laminations a pressed tightly against the fence and they are parallel/straight from tip to tip.