Author Topic: Hickory static recurves (full draw pics added)  (Read 1816 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Hickory static recurves (full draw pics added)
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:10:06 am »
This is another bow I have been working on. should be about 40# at 28" when I have shot it in a bit more. it was 72" before recurving and is now about 68". full draw pics over the weekend!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:26:36 pm by NeolithicMan »
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline MoNative

Re: Hickory static recurves
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:29:33 am »
looks good! one of my future project right there
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:34:04 am »
Looks real nice!
1’—>1’

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:33:23 pm »
I toasted the belly on this today as my first tempered belly. I clamped the ends to posts and had a board with small pices of scrap wood about 4 inches high in the middle. i put the handle on the stacked scrap wood and bent the ends to the posts to clamp in a reflexed position. First of all I will not recomend using a blow torch for tempering, second of all it worked. about 10 minutes on each limb and i let it cool for an hour and a half. took it down, strung it up backwards with a piece of wood to draw it out more and let it sit for a half hour... couldnt leave it much longer before i had to try it out and WOW! raised the draw weight significantly, evened out a bit of twist in a limb and some how seemed to even out the tiller a little more (I might just be excited on that last one to know if it really did) I shot it a dozen or so times and am very satisfied with the experiment so far. I will post more pics  tomorrow most likely.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: Hickory static recurves (full draw pics added)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:02:59 am »
tiller seems a bit off

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:12:59 am »
Looks pretty good to me,hard for me to tell with the picture side ways.Is the top limb longer ? Looks it. ;) :) I always give mine a few days to re hidrate after heat treating,I know some don't but I have had issues in the past so I always do. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:18:27 am »
I noticed it gain some moisture back over a few days as well. I've kept it strung backwards and near the forced air furnace to keep it dry until I seal it and make a case for all my bows to stay in. the top limb is longer. all i have for photos is my iphone and its been a hassle to get anything up with it. I find center of the bow profile, drop down 4" an thats my handle.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:14:16 am »
Good lookin bow. 

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 11:29:42 am »
That's a looooong recurve...I wouldn't be scared to yank that thing back to 32"  ;)  :laugh: