Author Topic: bamboo  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Mad Max

bamboo
« on: October 11, 2013, 08:47:10 pm »
can you heat or steam bend bamboo core laminations
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: bamboo
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:12:11 pm »
yes, i saw a special on korean bow making and the master bowyer used a pot full of coals with a screen cover and bent the boo in a special jig. i use steam for all my wood bending so far, feels a little safer. maybe there was steam being used in the before mentioned special, i just didnt not see any when i was watching.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 09:22:22 pm »
Yep, quite safely in fact.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:23:41 pm »
bamboo lams are glued / epoxyed or something
I am worried they will come apart
I have a 6" radius on my recurves form and my bamboos are .110 thick
do they need to be heat bent       or just glue them up
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 10:08:55 pm »
That's less than an 1/8"thick,but that's a tight radius to conform to.You might need to thin that some yet.I'm not totally into laminated bows but have done 8 or 10 bamboo backed bows and I think you should be able to get that to bond if wrapped really tight with innertube.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline echatham

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:58:59 pm »
just a data point for you,  the other day a friend of mine boiled a piece of bamboo and osage clamped together for about 15 minutes, then bent 60 degree recurves  in them together.  the osage held virtually all of the 60 degrees, and the bamboo held about40 degrees or so.   i imagine at glue up, the bamboo will conform to the osage.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 12:37:32 am »
POOR FOLK BOWS has a build along where he has .140 tappered and .102  paralell lams (bamboo)
he heat bends the bamboo backing (with nodes) but not the lams and bends and glues to a 6 1/2" radius (for the tips)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:26:37 am »
  You can't beed the boo after it's been glued up.
  The heat will make it come apart.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 11:18:25 am »
If you clamp the boo to the recurve and mildly dry heat,it makes for a better fit.try to keep the nodes away from the apex of the bend.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 04:57:47 pm »
if you can squash the bamboo into the form by hand without straining, then the epoxy will hold it...  no problem, if you glue and clamp it properly
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 08:43:19 pm »
  You can't beed the boo after it's been glued up.
  The heat will make it come apart.
I was wanting to pre bend (heat) befor glue up

If you clamp the boo to the recurve and mildly dry heat,it makes for a better fit.try to keep the nodes away from the apex of the bend.
   Bamboo laminations (no nodes)

if you can squash the bamboo into the form by hand without straining, then the epoxy will hold it...  no problem, if you glue and clamp it properly
  i'am scared they will break if i squash them into the form :-\ :(

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »
That's less than an 1/8"thick,but that's a tight radius to conform to.You might need to thin that some yet.I'm not totally into laminated bows but have done 8 or 10 bamboo backed bows and I think you should be able to get that to bond if wrapped really tight with innertube.
I reduced my lam to .070 and added one more,   the glue up went fine
I am going to take it out of the form monday. :) 8)