Author Topic: My latest projects  (Read 2788 times)

Offline steve b.

My latest projects
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:41:52 pm »
I just glued the TD sleeves on some massive oceanspray billets today.  It weighs over 4 lbs. at this point @68" long.  Not sure what will come of it.

The snakey oak is the weirdest piece of wood I've ever worked.  It was springy when I roughed it green and its still just as springy.  There is not a straight spot on it anywhere and I wanted to see if it would make a bow.  It made a lefty.  I'm not sure of the poundage because I'm not sure of the draw length.  It just keeps drawing and has taken no set.  I never worked it during tiller.  I pulled it to about half draw a few times, worked the tiller some more, and pulled it to 28".  I think it would go 29".  Its 60 or 62" long.  It flings a hunting weight arrow nicely, certainly not fast.  Very little shock.  I might heat treat it, finish it up and call it, 'shootable', and hang it on the wall.

The stained bow is hazelnut.  It pulls about 42 @ 27", 64", just under 16 oz.,  and was my first real hazelnut project.  Each limb took about an inch of set.  It shoots 600 grn arrows decent.   I can't wait to make a 60 lbs. bow from this wood. 
The tiller is identical to my last bow, the tradebow, and I don't like it.  I picked up this habit somewhere of the more circular tiller and I can't shake it.

The small bow is a small oceanspray sample that I'll make into a kids bow.  Its bending now but I need to a tiny string to finish it.........

Offline steve b.

Re: My latest projects
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:51:54 pm »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 11:58:07 pm »
You're turning out some nice bows Steve.
Gordon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:31:13 am »
Wooo some nice looking bows there :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 06:40:01 am »
You been busy,see you are wearing your safty glasses. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:12:27 am »
Some nice looking bows there Steve. I especially like the looks of the hazelnut that you don't seem to care for. It reminds me of an old string follow bow that I owned. Wasn't the fastest but really a sweet shooter!! Did you heat treat the belly?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:10:58 am »
Those are some great looking bows there.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 10:10:22 am »
Nice work Steve!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 11:37:52 am »
Very nice!  Could you do a build a-long some day?

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:46:17 am »
Can't wait to see the Takedown completed!  THAT'S gonna be an amazing bow!  ;)
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline MoNative

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 02:26:25 pm »
loving that bow with the "snakes" !!!!
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 07:13:05 pm »
Wow, you guys are really kind......or you all got together and decided to lie to me  O:)

I heat treated both the hazel and oak.   The oak lost all of its darkened wood during tillering and I really want to do it again.  I did the hazel twice.

The tiller on the oak looks funky mostly because one limb is deflexed and one slightly reflexed, and partly because I didn't put the time in that I could have.

I'm gonna want some advice on the oceanspray takedown.  I wonder if I should do that here?  One limb is flat, wide, and knobby with knots.  The other is fairly clean and crowned nicely, but not as wide.  I'm debating on decrowning both, backing, and trapping, so they look nearly identical vs. just tillering the way they are and letting them be who they are, looking different?   I'll post some pics.............

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:14:02 pm »
Steve, nice tiller on that funky twisty Oak! Nice looking bunch of bows...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;