Author Topic: Primitive insturments  (Read 3370 times)

JacksonCash

Primitive insturments
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:35:42 pm »
Are any of you fine craftsfolk into making and/or playing primitive(my anthropologist wife hates that word) instruments? Horns, flutes, pipes, drums? Just listened to a couple of parts of a radio documentary that was describing some, and I think I'd like to learn a bit more.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: Primitive insturments
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:54:52 pm »
I really enjoy playing the didgeridoo. Drives my wife nuts tho... but I can't figure out why. I sure like listening to a didj.   
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:57:09 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TbhQVUiug      here is a vid of my me playing around with it... just kinda learning. I am a bid better now but still not ready to do an "experienced" video yet
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:01:03 pm »
I really enjoy playing the didgeridoo. Drives my wife nuts tho... but I can't figure out why. I sure like listening to a didj.   

I've got similar problems with my wife and my harmonica.  :(

Thanks for the vid- have you worked on circular breathing for very long?

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:16:11 am »
I have been wanting to make a gue... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_mQjqSsulk   Got most of the wood together, just need some time (as is the case with a lot of projects).

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:25:07 am »
Circular breathing kinda came easy for me.. Just a good understanding of it.     but man, now I'd like a gue to play
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 11:29:52 am »
A cousin to the gue is a Jouhikko (Finnish).  It is VERY similar but has a third string.  To see some crazy cool Finnish jouhikko playing (makes me want to get my viking on).... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HDnpM_b-8          or     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_qolRLYFqE
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

HikingViking

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:01 am »
I hadn't seen a gue before, thanks for the video.  It makes an incredible sound.  Dont know if I have the coordination to pick it up, but I might just have to try and make one. 
Jackson - it wouldn't be considered primitive, but i'm going to be making a cajon soon.  a drum and a place to sit all in one, whats not to love?

JacksonCash

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 02:37:11 pm »
That gue is pretty cool. If you do end up getting one made, be sure to post lots of build picks so I can copy be inspired by you!

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 03:08:10 am »
I really enjoy Didjeridoo, haven't played one in a while though so I'm hesitant to pick one up. I can play spoons (my set was made from a pair of deer rib bones shaped and polished which gave a nice clickity clack sound), been messing with my harmonica lately and its making the dogs hate me, like making flutes out of wood though, just can't seem to get them to be properly tuned...
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

JacksonCash

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 10:44:22 am »
Those spoons sound cool, got any pictures of them?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »
I make elderberry flutes which are traditional to California and ceremonial pieces called clapsticks. I make an occasional plains/eastern woodlands style flute. I collect flutes and other instruments. I have a didj from Alice Springs AU and one from a local music shop made from boo. I do not have as much time or space in my "shop" as I would like to have consequently I do not get as much done as I would like to!

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:44 pm »
ben can play the heck out of those flutes, really cool sound
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 04:16:45 am »
Hey Twisted,
Don't understand why the little woman doesn't like that 8). Wow a sound! 
I need to go now and have a 6-pack and take my blood pressure meds.....

Just messin with ya.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.