Author Topic: Does switching bows affect accuracy?  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Does switching bows affect accuracy?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »
I find all my bows have a similar feel despite being different if that makes sense.
E.G I tend to tune 'em up to shoot the same arrows.
Some are fast faster than others but it doesn't take too long to settle in.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 03:52:47 pm »
The confidence that comes with ones favourite bow is certainly as important as the routine.
Don't shoot!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 04:20:37 pm »
We all did ,,, i hope  ...lol
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 04:26:46 pm »
If all your bows are the same poundage and shoot simular and are the same wether center shot or off the hand ect. There should not be to much of a difference . Often i use different arrows for each bow i have . And when doi g that each bow i shoot the same and all are very on . . . A bow should have its own special arrows that go with it and it alonne .... arrows are more important than a good bow if you ask me.  So.  I would say yes it does affect your shooting unless you have everything sepratly worked out .
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 10:43:46 pm »
I don't think any 2 bows shoot the same so there is bound to be a slight difference in accuracy going from one to another. That can be overcome by slight adjustments in grip, canting, and just shooting a few rounds to familiarize the slight difference. I have quite a few bows although not the 50 some that I had a few years ago. Most of my FG bows were similar in poundage and I shot the same arrow spine through most all of them only some maybe shorter or maybe 50-75 grain difference in point weight.
My selfbows so far have been quite a different story because I've missed anticipated draw weight, some are bend thru the handle and distance from center seems to make as much if not more difference in tuning than actual draw weight. One of the biggest problems I've encountered with selfbows is when I end up with a bow that is short of my 28-29" draw. I have a real problem with accuracy when I try to draw short. I generally give the bows away to someone with a shorter draw. My little neighbor girl got probably the best bow I ever made, a 51 1/2 ntn NA style osage that drew 35@24. The tiller was excellent and I had to reduce weight by removing wood from the sides because the limbs were getting awful thin. 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 02:47:05 am »
Yes it does. think of ita bow that shoots faster youll have to aim lower, where as a bow that shoots slower you gotta adjust for that and aim higher to compensate. there are other variables but thats the simpler more logical one I could come off right the top of my head. That being said, it takes a few shots for you to calculate the new bow.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 03:28:04 am »
I have done a bit of 3d competition shooting and even won the Nationals with a bow I made the night before......literally finished it at about midnight then hit the sack. I only had about 50 or so 'practise' arrows through it. So it can be done BUT I did have a couple of misses that I should have nailed at longer ranges....the new bow just didn't quite have the poke at range.
However that was only a comp if i'd been hunting then I would have wanted to have put at least a few hundred shots down range with the combo to learn the trajectory at different ranges. Arrows are more important than the bow.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 07:37:54 am »
Yeppers...Good arrow making is an art for sure.Especially wooden arrows.I usually keep a few carbides around to compare my flight to.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 07:52:45 am »
Not usually for bows I build for myself,most are close to the same weight and dimension and arrow rest right on the top of my hand,I do use a shelf but I make it so the arrow is right on my hand and paradox close to the same as far as center shot. I can usually tell from the first shot or 2 even before shot in and finished if the bow is going to be to my liking. I agree with Mike and Beadman on arrows.Old Indina saying " Bows easy to make,arrows heap big trouble"  ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marks

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 11:22:52 am »
Pappy I was hoping you would comment. I should have said it originally but you are the inspiration for this thread. He is the post you put in the Life is Good thread a few day ago.

Man it is almost here, :) :) Saturday morning and it's time to hunt Whitetail and Turkey. ;) >:( >:( Love this time of year,it is supposed to be a little warmer than I like but you have to take what the good Lord gives you. :)I have 3 bows set up and ready to go. :) Got Sappy Pappy [sap wood Osage bow from Shannon] set up last evening with 4 Hickory shafts/Turkey feathers and trade points that come in a 650 grain, :) :) they fly like darts. Not sure what I will start off with, but this one will for sure get to see the woods this season. ;)  Hope everyone is ready cause it's time.  ;) :) One more day and then off to the Cabin for 4 days. Sweet !!!!!!!!!
Can you tell I am excited  ;)
   Pappy

You posted it just 2 days before season (1 day now) and you don't know which of 3 bows you will start with. I would think you would have that narrowed down and really hone in on one bow. This isn't the first time I've heard similar situations. Its just the one that sparked the question. Also, I'm not critiquing. I'm asking more in ignorance.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 11:55:08 am »
I have a hunting bow finished just early august if memory serves..its 63# and will punch a judo point right through a rabbit.so now i figure i have to use a lighter bow for smaller game so that makes 2 diff bows,, i dont see the issue , both bows shoot diff..but just a few arrows and im on track with either bow,,so does it matter switching, yes but,, its negligible and with enough practice time that becomes apparent.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 12:48:54 pm »
I don't have a problem switching bows. I maintain continuity of the important aspects of design and construction and can switch between many of them from day to day.... even shoot different bows the same day that vary greatly in draw weight.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline dbb

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 01:21:43 pm »
Of course it does,but as you compensate for a new bow so fast you never notice unless you are competing on ringed targets at higher levels.
A good shot hunting is hitting a palmsized target at relatively short distance but an Arrow in the outer area of that "palm" is a9 instead of a 10 in a tournament.

Weight balance tiller and more will differ in a primitive bow ,you are gonna shoot similar groups with similar bows,but it will be hard to get the last "edge"   if you shift bows a lot.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...