Author Topic: Yew stave ... to be or not to be?????  (Read 4396 times)

Offline coaster500

Yew stave ... to be or not to be?????
« on: September 25, 2013, 02:51:38 pm »
I have a Yew stave that was cut 3/13. When I got it it was straight but the longer it seasons the more it curls. I live in a very dry climate an this stave is almost dry. If I decide to do something with it it will stay in the drying rack another six months or so. My shoulders are giving me fits so I have been resting them anyway.

Question???  ....  I know it can be straightened but starting with this much deflex will it make a bow? What would you do with it? It's over 80"s long and really tight rings where you need it. Sapwood is about perfect. In fact were it not for the deflex this would be a super clean stave. Has anyone started with this much deflex and made a good bow with Yew?

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Yew stave ... to be or not to be?????
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 02:56:58 pm »
Kip Winger! Good to "see" you my friend.

I have that staves twin! My plans are a short r/d bow. Hopefully this fall I can start in on it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »
It may have dryed like that because of how much thicker the ends are compared to the center of the stave but eh could be wrong
I like osage

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:10:18 pm »
Could always clamp it down and put it in the corner.  Won't get rid of all the deflex, but it will for most of it.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 03:11:31 pm »
I have seen dry like that.  I am not sure why some yew does this, maybe someone can enlighten us.  My guess is that is caused by different drying rates of the heart and sapwood.  Why some pieces do it an not others??

I like Pearlie's idea of r/d. 

It looks nice.  I hope your shoulders heal up!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:16:02 pm »
That's just a common trait for yew to do...and one of the reasons why trying to dry it to quick is not recommended...

Remember this one? It deflexed as it dried....so I took a lil bit out with heat and put recurves in it....this bow hits HARD still to this day.... yew is about the only wood I know that still can have great cast in it even if it follows the string some,or deflexed a lil....so if I make ayew bow and it follows the string some it don't bother me none because of its snappy nature

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=33859.0

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 03:16:57 pm »
Rough it out.
Once it's a bit smaller it will be easy enough to heat bend to any shape you like.
+1 for a RD
Del
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:42:46 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »
Drums did ya miss me  ;D

I think an r/d is in order. I have just never had a yew stave go from almost perfectly straight to this!!! Maybe a shortened sinew backed r/d Del. Yew is a bear to dry heat bend, for me anyway. I really don't have any experience with steam but this one may have to go to that route.

Bryce I have in on the concrete with four cinder blocks on it???

Hawkman I guess we'll find out about the cast....... Yours was a much more difficult stave than this one. That was a great bow!!! Aside from the deflex this one is almost perfect. Yew is some crazy kind of bow wood and user friendly on these sissy shoulders :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline dbb

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 04:10:56 pm »
A nice curvy R/D is a beautiful thing so thats my vote too
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 05:26:21 pm »
I wold personally do recurves, but the reflex deflex would be ok, I guess  ;D
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 05:47:58 pm »
I just made my first yew longbow and am no expert but the wood is unbelievibaly springy and the one i broke had deflex ( it did not break from that though)  the one that did not break is by far my best shooti g hardest hitting bow i have ever made . Reflex deflex it but instead of sinew .... i would use linen and match the color to your sapwood . Thats what i did (just for longevity) on my elb and you can even tell its backed . Its a good stave bro definatly build a bow . And take advice from del . The dude knows his stuff .
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 06:45:08 pm »
If you go for an ELB you could heat temper the belly at the same time as you straighten it, but you'd certainly want to get it to just flexing / early floor tiller first.
Del
(@ Rockrush... thanks for the vote of confidence :) )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 07:09:18 am »
For what it's worth, the last time I had a yew stave with that much deflex, no matter how much steam and dry heat bending I did, the deflex came back every time.  It was the last bow I posted actually. 

I don't know how differently baccata behaves under heat to brevifola though, so US yew might respond better.  I also find removing long even deflex a pig compared to concentrated areas, but I'm no expert!  That stave shouts r/d to me.  I reckon you'd be happier at the end, rather than struggling to straighten and being disappointed.

Either way, g'luck!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 01:36:10 pm »
Kip, sorry I didn't clarify lol rough out the bow leaving the limbs full width and clamp er' down she might still be green enough to dry most of that deflex out. Either way gonna be a killer R/D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 11:17:34 am »
    I had one like that a few years back, took it too John Strunks bow class w/same question. what most have already said we shaped it and flipped the tips. mine was already cured though.
     wow what shooter

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club