Author Topic: Got my butt kicked  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Got my butt kicked
« on: September 17, 2013, 03:21:50 pm »
I saved a nice looking winged elm log from destruction at work and decided to drag out the wedges and maul and get her split before it started checking on me.  It was straight and relatively knot free.  No biggie says I.   I done a little research first and saw that it was a little ornery about splitting.  I used the chainsaw to cut a nice straight kerf in it first and commenced to whailing on the wedges with the maul.  Holy Toledo!!! That stuff is tuffer than sweet gum.  I beat and beat and then sawed and beat some more.  What the heck!!  I had a serious case of swamp ass going on and it still wasnt giving in.  I flipped the log over and cut another deep kerf in it with the chainsaw.  Finally I heard the tell tale sounds and it gradually split (although it still took its good sweet time) as I beat the snot out of my wedges.  That stuff is mean.  If toughness to split is any indication of quality of bow wood, this stuff should put arrows in orbit.  Anyway, I halved the log and sealed the ends up.  I decided to wait for it to season some before I quarter it on out (and let my back and blistered hands heal).  :'(In the mean time, I think I will stick to more user friendly wood types.  Anyone else have trouble with splitting winged elm, and did it make decent bows??
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Got my butt kicked
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:27:34 pm »
Sounds like fun Greg  ;D   I hate splitting elm.  I've done one log and I don't ever plan on splitting another one.  Not worth the trouble in my opinion.  Especially if you have access to other trees.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:34:34 pm »
I don't kerf them. I chase wedges from end to end. Then leave a wedge in each end and run my saw down the split I made. It seems to work good. Ive split a fair share of elm this way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:47:09 pm »
Sounds like fun Greg  ;D   I hate splitting elm.  I've done one log and I don't ever plan on splitting another one.  Not worth the trouble in my opinion.  Especially if you have access to other trees.
Oh yeah, it was a riot for sure!! Most fun Ive had since circumcision!  How does it work with hand tools?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:59:48 pm »
Don't know.  I got so pissed at that log that I haven't touched it since.  That was 4 years ago.  I traded half of it to Boardhawk.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 06:10:39 pm »
good to hear from you again Greg.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:13:32 pm »
I had trouble with splitting maple with a saw and crowbar. Then I discovered wedges and a sledgehammer.  But took my nail clean off trying. 
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:41:33 am »
i have a 5 pound mini-sledge w/ a 10" handle... try splitting a 6" knotty elm log with just 2 wedges.
Seriously.
it really is a workout!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 05:34:09 am »
We should make a bowyers fitness workout DVD  ;D ;D ;D
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:18:56 am »
It is tough to split sometimes and sometimes not so bad,I do about like Pearl. And yes Winged Elm makes a good bow,just be sure it is dry and keep it that way through the process. :) It is bad about absorbing moisture.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:06:12 am »
I kerf cut n split elm...never had as big as an issue as what you stated Greg....maybe your just a wuss  :laugh:

Clint I haven't touched that elm yet...its still "seasoning".... ::)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:09:10 am »
I think he just called you a wuss Greg?.......................How far away is the Classic now?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 11:21:18 am »
I think he just called you a wuss Greg?.......................How far away is the Classic now?
If I didn't know better, I'd say he did just call me a wuss.  Must of been a typo.   :laugh:  He is way to civilized to be name calling and pointing fingers!  I may just save those two elm halves and let him show me how to properly quarter them.  From  what I hear, he has a hard time splitting Mongolian Tulip, so he has no room to talk.  Oh .  .  . the Classic.  It can't be too much longer.  Im looking forward to it already.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:00:37 pm by Gsulfridge »

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 07:31:38 pm »
Mongolian tulip?
I think I have heard of a Mongolian Tulip Pecker... but never the actual tree  ::) >:D
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"