Author Topic: how do i make glue from fresh tendon sheaths and fat from cow ? (not dryed)  (Read 2227 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
Hey guys ... i have just recieved my free tendo s from my buddy at the butcher shop and after cleaning the sheThs and extra fatty stuff off the tendons are hanging outside under my carport to dry ...now .... i want to make glue from the bowl full of tendon sheaths, small useless tendon, and fat left over . It is not dry and is in my freezer raw still . Can someone help me ? What do i need to do to this to make glue from it ?

I know someone is a master at this and will help me so thNk you in advance my brothers and sisters ... namaste
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: how do i make glue from fresh tendon sheaths and fat from cow ? (not dryed)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:29:31 pm »
Check out Osage Outlaws post in the build alongs. He did a good one for making glue. It may be back a few pages.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 03:50:55 pm »
I wouldn't use fat to make glue. 

This post follows my first attempt at making sinew glue.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30740.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 05:33:57 pm »
I make to many bows and arrows to waste the sinew on making glue . I was hoping to make glue from the crap i cleaned off the tendons ... i get my sinew raw from a butcher ( this time it was 8 cow legs ) and i have to cut alot of crap off them to get them down to drying sized .honsstly i have been using tight bond 2 for like 2 years for all my gluing and it has worked incredably well with no cracking or lifting or problems of anykind ... i recently used knox gelatin to put rawhide on a bow and honestly it was messy and a real pain in the ass ... lol .... but i also used dog bone rawhide so it was really thick and i haf to get slopy and tie it down every mm.  !!! With sinew i huess its dip and stick so it will probably be nice . I was basicly just trying to learn a new way to do things .... hey heres a brain twister ... what if i use both . Tight bond 2 and knox .... size the bow with tight bond .... and dip the sinew in the knox as i put it on ???? Would that work ???
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:17:31 pm »
You can buy quality hide glue relatively cheap from an art supply catalog like Dick Blick.   The brand name glue I have is  H. Behlen ground hide glue (B940-00255) Check ut the Dick Blick website or Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC