Author Topic: Take down sleeve  (Read 1926 times)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
Take down sleeve
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:51:18 pm »
I am looking for a takedown sleeve for a bow in the works. What place should I get it from? How do u make them pistol grip-y? How do u glue on a shelf if I choose to do so? What glue? What size? I make 4" handles that are 1.25" at the lowest point. How do u put beaver tails on it? Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:55:22 pm by Wood_Bandit99 »
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline adb

Re: Take down sleeve
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:24:19 pm »
3Rivers has T/D sleeves. That's where I got one.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:06:35 am »
The ones at 3 rivers are made from crappy materials and well frankly they suck.
The ones you want are made by Richard Dykoff and Carson deals them@ EchoArchery I've used two if them as there great! Solid. Tight fit.
Clatskanie, Oregon

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:39:05 am »
Might wanna learn how to use the toilet first before ya start running around without diapers   :-X  ::)

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:34:23 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:55:06 am »
i agree with blackhawk, I've made a few dozen bows now but i still consider myself very much a novice and i still have a nice TD on my to do list but i don't want to add extra cash to the build until i feel like i will be able to justify the sleeve purchase with an awesome shooter. I think i'm getting close but not quite there yet. keep building one piece bows and save the TD sleeve for later.  Unless you have a ton of extra cash laying around then by all means, go for it.
45# at 27"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 01:27:26 pm »
A pistol grip is tough when two pieces have to mate to form a handle.

I suggest the small sleeve set -  I have big hands and the large is too big.

The sleeves are 4" long, the shelf is attached to the top of the sleeve, I used super glue.

Cut the tail to the exact size and sew it on, it wont stretch enough to help you. Make it fit prior.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 01:50:33 pm »
Might wanna learn how to use the toilet first before ya start running around without diapers   :-X  ::)

We are potty training my little lad at the moment, thanks for the flash backs of him hiding things behind the couch for me.....

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 01:52:34 pm »
Or the unique finger painting on the walls!!

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 05:28:27 pm »
Haha. I will be making quite a bit more bows until I attempt it. I will make it for elk hunting in Utah next year. I will make it in may just wanted to find out so I can research about it.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:49:00 pm »

We are potty training my little lad at the moment, thanks for the flash backs of him hiding things behind the couch for me.....

my son is just starting to warn us, i hope he isnt a gift giver like yours is/was dwardo

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:24:24 am »
Take downs,bendy handles,recurves & handles etc.It's a long learning curve these different styles of self bows.Contacts for different special materials fall in this curve too.Qualities of different types of glues for its' use.You've got to learn to take the manure back if you want to throw it.All in jest and it's what makes life fun.
diapers and toilets put a funny picture in my mind though I gotta admit that. ;D
I'll put a raw beaver tail on a bow handle here within a few weeks here and tell a little about it.Nothing much though really to say though.Pretty much self explanitory.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed