Author Topic: Heat tempering question  (Read 2122 times)

Offline RyanR

Heat tempering question
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:00:23 pm »
I was heat tempering the belly of my bow on a form and some heat circled around the form and got to the back.  There of a couple of spots that turned brown. I sanded some off but was wondering if this will hurt the bow.  It is elm.

Offline Eric Garza

Re: Heat tempering question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:06:15 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'circled around the form'. I've treated a decent number of bows, and have never had that happen. Did you heat the belly so harshly that you heat treated all the way through the limb? If so, then I have no experience with doing this so I don't know how your bow will turn out.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:13:34 pm »
No, my form has a side to it and I think it went between that and the bow and then around under it because it is only on discolored on one side.  I think it will sand off.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:20:59 pm »
Ryan, I've had the same problem. I think I'm going to cut a 1 piece form about 1 1/2" wide for all of my heat treating.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:17 pm »
Did it ruin the bow?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:46:55 pm »
It did not ruin the ( bows )  ;D. I've had the problem multiple times. I guess it would depend on how bad it was fried. Mine have just been scorched and it is just been an annoyance that caused extra cleanup, sanding, and finishing work.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:07:04 pm »
Your bow is fine if its not all charred up. The heat gets around the back side of your caul and warms the back up. Try wiping the back down with a quick coat of veg oil. It'll move the heat through instead of frying it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 10:14:14 pm »
Ive done it a couple of times, once with osage and once with hickory. The osage broke at the spot that it was burnt on the back but the hickory survived. I cant say for sure that the charred back was the cause of the break but its the only osage bow ive ever broken out of 40 or so.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 02:37:29 am »
You should be ok with elm.
But lesson learnt for next time eh!
A good form helps and if you still run into problems then stuff tin foil in the gap.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 04:19:21 am »
With Yew I put a few layers of masking tape over the back and try to use a form that is no wider than the bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:54 am »
If it's an elm stave,they don't come much tougher!a board on the other hand ,I would be more concerned!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.