Author Topic: Finishing bbh  (Read 1617 times)

Offline robA

Finishing bbh
« on: September 14, 2013, 10:43:26 am »
hey guys,
I am finishing a bamboo backed hickory bow and was wondering how to put a finish on this thing. I've never worked with bamboo before and was wondering what I can do with it.
This bow is for a woman so I was hoping to do something fancy with the staining. Any suggestions?
Thank you all in advance!

Offline adb

Re: Finishing bbh
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 10:54:02 am »
I finish bamboo the same as any other wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 12:19:34 pm »
If your boo still has the rind on it you will want to buff it well with 0000steel wool or very fine sandpaper so it will take the stain well. Other than that finish it just like any other like adb suggested.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 12:40:35 pm »
Try rit dye mixed with denatured alcohol for coloring. Pracitce first on some scap wood to get the effect your heart desires ;)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:38 pm »
Try rit dye mixed with denatured alcohol for coloring. Pracitce first on some scap wood to get the effect your heart desires ;)

+1
You can get great effects doing this.

Offline robA

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:21:57 pm »

+1
You can get great effects doing this.

Thanks guys. I've never used this kind of mixture before. I'll look for it and get some pics up as it finishes.