Author Topic: International shipping questions  (Read 1740 times)

Offline paulsemp

International shipping questions
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:34:33 am »
ok, the bow for Danny F is packed and ready to go. all the money is in the PayPal account thank you everybody. Tomorrow after work I am going to the UPS Store to ship it off. I know I have to fill out customs paperwork, is there anything that I should not say and or do to get this Bow held up in customs? I want this to go as smooth as possible and I've heard of things getting held up in customs. I appreciate all replies.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: International shipping questions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 02:57:57 am »
If you send it as a "gift", label it as "folk art" and put the value under $25, you should be good to go.  Customs does not like ANYTHING that is commercial goods, expensive, and can be potentially be used as a weapon.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:27:16 am »
Good info Patrick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:35:52 am »
Thanks Patrick, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:28:46 am »
Paul,
     the wood and bows I have sent to friends in England and Scandinavia you may wish to avoid the term "art" as well.....perhaps handcraft or similar. Jack gave you good advise, keep the value low, don't mention anything about weaponry. Europe has a thing about "art" recently so you may wish to avoid that. The declaration form is pretty straight forward and it in it's self will give you good "prompts" as to your choices.
rich

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 10:15:03 am »
I learned the hard way that you should insure it for full value. Also, plaster it with 'FRAGILE' stickers.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 11:04:37 am »
You could use "wood carving" instead of "folk art".  I ship stuff to Russia sometimes and they are VERY strict.  I've had only one package that got "lost" in the mail.  It was a small package that contained two flint arrowheads and was marked "FRAGILE" and declared as "decorative stones" and insured for between $40 and $60, can't remember.  I lost ONE item of the original paperwork and couldn't make a claim to get the insurance money...  even though the Post Office had a record of the postage paid.

So, I make the package as plain as possible; send it during the holiday season as a "gift"; declare it as some kind of art, sculpture, or carving; put it in a reasonably large container so that it's harder to steal; and no insurance.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:35:29 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:01:32 pm »
tell them its a stave. not really a weapon, its not anything expensive or fragile.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 06:18:39 pm »
Thanks guys!! Exactly what I was wondering. Getting off the train in a few a then sending a bow to England.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »
Hand craft and a gift is the way to go. If you ever have to send stuff we use, like animal parts, wood and etc. call it craft supplies and price it under $5.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 09:06:06 pm »
I do like Mullet.  I always put "craft supplies" on the form and a cheap value.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left