Author Topic: Flat glue surface?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline DavidV

Flat glue surface?
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:18:30 pm »
How do you guys get flat glue surfaces with hand tools? Don't have the dough to drop on a belt sander at the moment and that's the only way i can think of.
Springfield, MO

Offline burn em up chuck

Re: Flat glue surface?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:30 pm »
  I've had to rough it before too. a lot more work, but very satisfying. sanding block & scraper. and a straight edge to check work

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:37:34 pm »
I have often thought about this but never tried it?place a hacksaw blade between the Two surfaces .clamp a pair of vise grips on either end ,clamp both pieces of wood at both ends and work your way down.if your really up to outside the box approachs.!lol!(Not proven,just a theory.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Hoarfrost

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »
In my other woodworking I've had good luck with hand planing the surfaces before gluing. I guess you need hand planes though, which aren't cheap- but are my favorite tools.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:46:57 pm »
Depends what sort of wood you have and what type of glue you want to use.
If its roughsawn lumber you can use a handplane, but the blade must be sharp, and you have to know how to read the grain otherwise you can get terrible tear out. A good high angle handplane costs more an average belt sander though.
If you're decrowning a stave to back it with boo or hickory you can use a rasp and then a file will work but is slow.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 11:31:33 pm »
We'll see if it worked in 24 hours...

I had a kinda thin stave of honey locust and I'm gluing on a leopardwood riser. Started out with a block plane to get the biggest humps out then I put sandpaper on the riser and went at it until there wasn't any play... I think it's good.... don't see light through it and Smooth-On fills gaps pretty well anyway.
Springfield, MO

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 12:20:24 am »
I have had pretty good results with sticky back sandpaper made for hand sanders. I stick it on a piece of 2" flat bar or angle iron. Just cut it to the right width and stick it on, I use 60 grit and I think the sheets are about 8" long. My piece of flat bar is about 18" long. > Dan

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 03:30:26 am »
Glass is the answer.
Find your local dealer and buy some thick sheets/offcuts.
One bigger one for your bench and a longer narrower piece.
Use sticky backed sandpaper.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 09:45:40 pm »
Bushboy like this?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 10:22:40 pm »
I hate doing this, it sucks so bad. What I did before I bought a belt sander is to take a flat 2 foot by 2" or so board of red oak, and glue on some 36 grit from a belt sanding belt. The normal sand paper is useless for this task, as it wears out super quick.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 10:48:46 pm »
It takes some tedious time to get flat surfaces by hand if it's a lamination.File,scraper,and sanding block.Overlays are'nt so bad.A dry fit with c clamps before glueing helped me up to the daylight to see air.If you can finger clamp it with just a fuzzy hair line showing you should be good.Then the c clamps will make zero daylight showing through.Remember the thinner the glue line the more elastic it will be if your using smooth on.With smooth on it don't hurt to slightly groove it lengthwise with a hacksaw blade.The glue has a 2 hour pot life to give you plenty of time which you know already I'm sure.Good luck you'll have to save up to get some tools,or go to these farm sales.Sometimes there are very good deals there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed