Author Topic: Search for 'Sage  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Search for 'Sage
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:42:06 pm »
Guys...after pondering abit, I'm at a loss as to where to get some decent billets of Osage, mulberry, etc. for splicing into bow blanks...likely backing with hickory or boo. Any suggestions?

Most likely I'm gonna start working on my pile of yellow birch and make a couple of wide limb type Meare Heaths or Holmegaards in the meantime anyhow.

Thanks

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Search for 'Sage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:22:22 am »
Ebay. You dont have to be to picky about the grain of the wood if your going to back it with wood or bamboo so some times you can pick up wood cheap that wouldnt make a good selfbow.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:37:21 am »
I to agree with Ryano on Ebay I have purchased to sets , of Osage billets from there for under twenty including shipping 10 for billets 9 something for shipping. For me still learning I can afford to make a twenty dollar mistake as opposed to premium  wood price.
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:07:12 pm »
where ya at, eastern archer? Might be doing some more osage harvesting here in Shenandoah co. VA soon. Splittin' sage is easier with a second set of hands.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline RG

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:33:39 pm »
Let us know where your at if you make it to the Classic you might find some

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:01:12 pm »
Guys....If only I could, I would!  Pretty tough when your on the East coast of Canada tho.
On the weekend, I called the only supplier I can find here in Canada (Ontario) and he basically told me that his Osage wouldn't be fit for a bow but, If I wanted to look over his log pile, I was welcome to.......but I can't make that trip!
Thanks for thinkin' of me.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 11:45:13 pm »
I dont know much about up there , down here where were  at there is sell barns and live stock  auctions. a lot of times farmers will clean out old fence rows and so forth and bring hedge post ,[corner post] to these auctions , call around to the sale barns. A lot of times you can buy those corner post [ bow post] pretty cheap
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:07:44 pm »
I emailed you a buddies address....give Him a Shout and see if He can help you out....but eBay is a good place for staves ...especially if you intend to Back it anyway....then the Late to Early Growth rate doesnt matter
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 08:06:01 pm »
No osage up north Kayak, nil,nada, nope, ain't happening >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:22:57 pm »
I emailed you a buddies address....give Him a Shout and see if He can help you out....but eBay is a good place for staves ...especially if you intend to Back it anyway....then the Late to Early Growth rate doesnt matter

Thanks MAn...I'll look into it.