Author Topic: Do any of you sell your bows?  (Read 7240 times)

Offline bow101

Re: Do any of you sell your bows?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 08:11:45 pm »
The thing about Warranty is a good point, kind of scares me ever to think about selling bows even if I had 200 bows under my belt and 20 years doing it.  I was thinking maybe DIY kits where the customer gets a couple lams and center piece for the handle and a small chunk for the tips.  Have a sheet with directions on it and Bob's yur uncle.  If it fails it fails, I didn't do it...!!
Maybe do other wood working besides Archery, and also there is a lot more to Archery than just bows & arrows.

(1) arrow racks
(2) bow racks
(3) sell staves
(4) knives
(5) quivers
(6) gloves and tabs .........................and the list goes on..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 11:15:17 pm »
I wonder about a release they sign that says anything that happens to them while using any product made by you is entirely their doing and that you provide no guarantee of safety or liability?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Poggins

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 12:01:07 am »
I haven't got a lot of bows under my belt yet , but I don't think I would ever sell a completed bow just staves and every once and a while one that I have started on , I will give them to someone that is going to use it to hunt with or target shoot with .
I would have no problem donating one to auction off to raise money for the club I'm in .
Selling and giving away my staves have left me low on wood a time or two but at least I was able to help someone out that may not have had something to work with otherwise.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 01:56:44 am »
By having them sign a release you are admitting that something might go wrong... I'm just saying!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 02:14:07 am »
I am going to call a lawyer and ask him a few questions about release forms.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 07:58:52 am »
To me making these bows better and better over the years gets the benefit of meeting some interesting people and their ways.Enjoy shooting and hunting with them.A passion turned into a business can lead into bitter memories instead of rocking chair memories.What blackhawk,Gun Doc have said pretty much sums it up.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline warpath

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:23 am »
Corius- If you want to sell bows, you really should talk to a business lawyer. You'll need to have business insurance no matter what!!! Making your business an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) Is the best this you can do. It makes sure that they can only get so much money without putting you out of business or losing personal items like your house and/or car. It can also prevent them from going after you in civil court. That is how the laws work here anyway. Do your research for your area.
   I've made it a business for the last 18 years and I still love it. Got 100's of bows under my belt before I even considered making it a business. I've seen too many great bowyers get burned out because they did nothing but custom order. I'll do customs every now and then, but basically let customers choose from what's already been made. If you really want to make a go of it, just make sure to cover all your bases from a legal standpoint. Hope this was helpful.

G

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:01 am »
Years ago we had a martial arts school...we had all students/ parents sign a wavier.. Accordin to our lawyer and insuraunce guy this was a good thing... But they made sure we understood that it was just a good faith gesture( like a handshake) and that they wouldnt even be admissable in court if it came to that... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 10:33:50 am »
Brian beat me to it. The piece of paper I had my Karate students sign cost me $600 the Lawyer charged me and in court would have been worth what a piece of paper cost. It just means you will show a good faith effort to make it safe.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 12:01:19 pm »
I sell my bows. I don't make a ton, but I know a guy who has infinite staves and is right next to me and it lets me get tons of stuff I want and is fun giving it to them even though I get jealous. I take the character ones and the pipes are for sale ;) it's fun and if I can't make them because I'm just tired of it I will make them wait a little or not take orders for awhile. I don't want to get burned out of something this fun. I can go on awesome hunts and have nice gear by selling. And to people that want a good custom bow, I'm not that expensive
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!