Author Topic: cordage fiber  (Read 1672 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
cordage fiber
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:09:14 pm »
Finally got the yucca retted I started back in May.  :o Came out alright, been waxing it and twisting it, kinda short, but strong.  First two picks are milk weed I collected w/ a buddy last Saturday. We stripped about 1/3 of it, but he took that.  I got the rest.  I've been stripping a few a night.  Seems like real long fibers.  Not going to ret, but going to dry and comb.  We'll see. Thanks for lookin, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: cordage fiber
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:07:08 am »
Now you done it!  What are your plans for these fibers?  It seems like the yucca fibers aren't separated real well.  That has always been my experience with the stuff.  Difficult to separate.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:50:04 am »
Well....not sure of all the plans yet.  I've taught my oldest boy, 9yrs, to do the flemish twist, so he's making a long cord.  I'd like to possibly make a bow string, maybe some necklaces. Dye some of it to see how that works.  I'm planning on combing the yucca too.  Then gonna give the short bundled stuff to a friend who spins and see what she can come up with.  Just wanted to give it a try Tim.  The retting took way to long, but I really didn't have to do much with it either.  Just at the beginning and the end ya know.  Thanks for the reply!  Sorta like what my wife thinks, "Oh here he goes again".  ;D dpg

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:22:05 pm »
So is that water retting? How'd ya ret it? I haven't had much luck with water retting nettle, but I didn't give it that long either?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 04:16:17 pm »
Yea water retting. I didn't think I was having much luck either, but ended up getting a prett good bunch.  I think the maceration(sp?), might not even be the right word  :-[, is a really important part.  Gotta bruise those chloraphyl cells and they rot/ret quicker.  I pulled mine out of the water after a week or so and did it, then I felt like things were working a bit better. I changed the water a lot too, I think that slowed down the process too. I don't know Man, I just gave it a try and got what I got. My kid likes it, I guess that's something.  ;) dpg