Author Topic: Maximizing the wood?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Maximizing the wood?
« on: August 26, 2013, 02:07:15 am »
Hi.  So I got a few smaller diameter shorter logs between 36" and 62".  When I look at the end of them I can "See" several bows in there.

For example one is about an 8" dia log and 36" long.  If I split it in 1/2 than each 1/2 in 1/2 again I'll get two bows out of it (4 pieces of wood).  BUT that leaves a ton of wasted wood.

So what I'm thinking is possibly I can split the 1/2's int 3rds.  That still leaves considerable waste considering the type of bows I make.  Those bows near the outer edge will be about wide enough.  However I could also title my band saw table and then rip that in 1/2 and come up with 3 flat bows and 3 skinny bows (all "V" spliced).  And minimize my waste.  What do you think?  Feasible?

I already sawed one in 1/2.  If I wanted to get it down into thirds should I split it down?  Or is it better to saw it down?  I'm thinking I could mark the end grain, tilt my saw table to match and then use a compass to make markings to follow that follow the edge of the log.

I have a  big log that is short and canted with a big rotten spot in it.  I'm going to cut it at the bend (38") and then mill it into lumber.  The other side will be even shorter.  Either I'll try to figure out how to make spliced shorties or I'll mill that into lumber and make "stuff" out of it like bird houses.  Or I have a friend that makes custom wood deer calls.  Perhaps I'll donate to him.

Offline sleek

Re: Maximizing the wood?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:58:48 am »
One important question first, what type of wood?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 03:57:08 am »
I think there is always less useable wood than you think.
Now if only you can find some trees that grow with dead straight, parallel, square trunks you may have a chance ::)
One of the problems is the way the wood shifts and curves when its cut and the internal tension is released. I had some Pacific Yew billets sent over from Oregon and cut it to try and maximise the staves. Even being generous I ended up having to work real hard to get the bows out. I'm currently doing an ELB with the last of the billets and I had to resort to al sorts of tricks to get it out.
Main prob is you end up with triangular billets, which is fine if you want to end up with triangular section bows.
I'd rather have two good billets that three lengths of firewood.
It's catch 22
If your wood is so scarce you need to maximise it, then it's too scarce to risk screwing it up by trying to maximise it!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:27:00 pm »
Osage orange.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 04:51:38 pm »
  I would never use a saw on osage. Most of the ime osage will split very cleanly. I buy 3" staves on e ebay all the time and split them in half, I very seldom have a probelm. I would split it 4 ways then take a belly split off of each of those and then split it again.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:26:21 pm »
  I would never use a saw on osage. Most of the ime osage will split very cleanly. I buy 3" staves on e ebay all the time and split them in half, I very seldom have a probelm. I would split it 4 ways then take a belly split off of each of those and then split it again.

I thought about that also but I did that with a stave i traded for and got the split running into places I didn't want.  I may try that with other pieces. 

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:27:42 pm »
If I split I'll split my sawn 1/2s into thirds then take belly splits off those.  I just don't want to mess it up.  It's so hard for me to find and get Osage.

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 05:36:04 pm »
I read somewhere that it's very difficult to split something into thirds. Because one side is bigger the split runs to the thin side. This means that quite often the first third runs off and gets wasted so you only end up with two pieces anyway. This will need verification because I've never done it.
Don