Author Topic: Feather ID  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Newindian

Feather ID
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:15:00 pm »
Hopefully legal
I like free stuff.

Offline Stoker

Re: Feather ID
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:31:47 pm »
Great horned owl.. It'll be soft won't make to much of a swosching (it's a word) sound...
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Newindian

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:27:08 pm »
Found another a while back, now that I've started looking I think it's a barred owl. Im not sure the other is a great horned owl I've seen those before and this one dosnt have any of brown/orange color
I like free stuff.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:43:53 pm »
Sweet feathers, but I'd take the point and the optional shaft out of the picture. It's illegal to use for arrows unless you jump through the Federal hoops as a Native American.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:54:08 pm »
Probably be in more trouble making arrows out of the table than using the feathers, I could probably pull off being an Indian though
I like free stuff.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:56:36 pm »
Not without the card if the wrong person shows up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:24:04 pm »
Probably be in more trouble making arrows out of the table than using the feathers, I could probably pull off being an Indian though
:)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 11:25:53 pm »
Unless you can provide Tribal Identification and are currently enrolled with a tribe, don't even think of pulling that kind of stunt.  A USF&W officer will look on that as an attempt to lie your way out of charges and will likely press charges. 

The difference between confiscation and confiscation with charges is often the way the person acts.

Dump the feathers, it isn't worth the hit your reputation will take.  Every Conservation Officer and USF&W Agent will carry suspicions about you from then on.  Who wants to live with that kind of worry?

Aside from all that, they really are beautiful, ain't they? Each of the individual barbules on the central spine of the feather has "velcro" type hooks that zip it into the barbule next to it.  When the feathers are slightly ruffled, the bird just gently grabs the feather at the base and strips it thru the beak.  Presto, chango! Good as new. Now, being a shed feather this probably won't work, but newly grown flight feathers on owls glow light pink under strong blacklights.  Owls can see in the ultraviolet spectrum, so they must be able to see this.  Some species of owls, like the northern saw-whet owl can be aged by putting the wing under blacklights and determining which feathers are glowing pink.  They do not replace all the wing feathers when they molt. When they do molt wing feathers, it is a different pair each year of life, so the position of the pink new ones tells you roughly the age of the bird.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 09:45:59 am »
To me, they look more like wing feathers from a Cooper's or similar hawk than owl feathers. They are just as illegal to possess and use.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 12:51:05 pm »
Why are us Native Americans the only people that have to prove who we are?   Just sayin.  >:(
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »
Because due to treaties recognizing them sovereign nations, their dual citizenship creates rights and privileges not available to other American citizens.  It's no different than when anyone else holds dual citizenship. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 06:16:41 pm »
Why are us Native Americans the only people that have to prove who we are?   Just sayin.  >:(

I know right!

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 08:16:48 pm »
Americans must prove they are Americans when exercising the privelages we have. Such as getting a hunting liscence, drivers liscence, applying for a job, etc.... because we are more special to us than the rest of the world. Yall natives are even more special, so it makes sence you would have to prove it. Sure wish I could.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Buck67

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 04:53:11 pm »
I have a friend that picked up a Blue Jay feather and was wearing it in her hat at a rendezvous.  A Fish and Game Warden happened to see it and issued her a $250 fine.  Don't mess with any feathers that come from birds that aren't either domestic or hunted with a license.

Buck67

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 05:14:47 pm »
What a jerk. He could just as easily told her its illegal and to remove it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others