Author Topic: Critiques on a cherry bow (in progress)  (Read 2641 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

Critiques on a cherry bow (in progress)
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:26:07 pm »
Well I started on this cherry stave( one of six from a single log) about 6 months ago and I've had it a oil over a year. I've been working on it of and on fir the last six months and its 70 inches. Ill have to remove two inches from both limbs as a crack has developed in one of the tips that goes all the way through. So all critiques are welcome as are suggestions and advice.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline mcginnis6010

Re: Critiques on a cherry bow (in progress)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »
Pic of cracked tip and spot where a knot used to be

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:34:56 pm »
What draw lenth are you going for ?
I like osage

Online sleek

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:45:16 pm »
Good luck bud, cherry scares me. I had one perfectly tillered blow on me... Hit me in the nipple. That hurts. Ticked me off too cause I had it just about finished. mine was black cherry with no sap wood. I have one bit left I'm gonna try with sap wood on. Looks like yours has sap wood?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 12:25:53 am »
Looking at a 28 inch draw at hopefully 45-50lbs. Yea its mostly sap wood not sure if it'll work or not but nothing ventured nothing gained. Besides as I said I have five more staves pretty well seasoned so if it doesn't work I can try it with all heartwood or a mix of sap and heart.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 07:43:57 am »
Back it...if ya don't wear a helmet...

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:27:34 am »
Yea I'm planning on backing with rawhide as I've heard too many stories about unbacked cherry bows.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:49:35 am »
To have peace of mind I would back it.Dry it is brittle.You'll still get a 66" long bow at 47.5#.You'll get er.Takes heat bending well.Made a 64"black cherry a while back at 53#@28".It had a couple rings of sapwood left on.I backed that with sinew and snakes.It ended up holding a resting 4" of reflex.People are worried about the weight of this sinew on bows.That paticular bow weighed 16.50 ounces after sinewing but before handle wrap,skins,& finish.After 17.20 ounces.That's low weight.Very snappy bow.You'll like it.Makes the FG boys scratch their heads.
Got a 60/40 molly all heartwood 63" long that'll get sinew in a month or so.I'll induce reflex in that one too only not quite as much as my previous one.Old Gus give me a Texas red rat snake for that one.
I hav'nt had luck with red cedar but cherry makes it up for me.I'd put horn overlays on yours too even before tillering.The wood is softer if your used to making hedge bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed