Author Topic: Onward and Upward!  (Read 4181 times)

Offline adb

Re: Onward and Upward!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 12:48:56 pm »
Adb... Im gonna beat skarhand to the question, lol.. When using innertubes do you start inda middle and wrap to the tips? And do you tie it off or clamp it at your stoppin point. I got a giant tractor tube im gonna cut into strips if its still good.. Skarhand, sorry to highjack your thread but i think we can both learn somethin here ;).... Brian

I start from the middle and wrap out to the tips. That way, any excess glue is squeezed out the end. I don't wrap excessively tight... just enough to pull the inner tube a bit. I use a 1" wide tube, and leave about 1" of space between wraps.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 12:56:14 pm »
Thankyou sir!
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline skarhand

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 01:42:12 pm »
Any chance anyone can post pics of an inner tube wrap-up? I get the idea in principal, but am having a hard time envisioning it. For example, do you wrap it to another board (e.g. 2x4)? can you wrap it all, riser and tips included? If doing with re/de, again do you just wrap it tight to another board or wrap it around itself? So many questions, lol.

Oh and koan, feel free to hijack me anytime. I only charge minimal royalties, LOL.

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19:02 pm »
I use a clamping board, and sandwich the backing strip between it and the belly wood. You can add reflex after wrapping by blocking up the ends. If you want R/D, you need a form.

Don Case

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 03:28:24 pm »

Offline skarhand

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 04:03:55 pm »
Ok, so I got a nice new red oak board 72" long to make myself a full sized bow. I thought a got a good board, but I noticed a spot that might be problematic. i'd like to minimize the problem if I can, through the way I cut and trim the board. For the most part the grain lines run almost perfectly down the entire piece of wood, and the growth rings are thick (4 grain lines on the 3/4 edge).

I drew up a sketch of what it looks like, and my question is which side should I make the belly or back, A or B.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 04:24:32 pm »
It depends on which way they run on the end.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 04:27:47 pm »
If there's any run off I'd make the side that has the most runn off the belly
I like osage

Offline skarhand

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 05:10:29 pm »
It depends on which way they run on the end.