Author Topic: Tillering question  (Read 931 times)

Don Case

Tillering question
« on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:18 pm »
Since at least some of you have the lower limb shorter, when you are tillering how do you decide where to attach the scale? If you hook it to the center of the string you will be pulling at an odd angle. How that's clear.
Don

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tillering question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:36:21 pm »
If you want to get an accurate picture of whether you are tillering correctly or not when you have a shorter lower limb, figure out where you have the arrow pass on the grip.  Right where the arrow would nock to line up with this arrow pass is where you would hook up! 

Sure prevents surprises late in the tillering stages!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Tillering question
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 04:35:21 pm »
I hook on where the fulcrum of my string hand(middle finger) will be. To find this, I make some measurements on the wall behind my tillering tree. I measure 3/8 from where the shelf will be and make a mark. This mark mimcs where the bottom of the nock point will be.

Next, since my arrow nocks are 1/4" wide, I measure back toward the handle 1/4" and make another mark. From here I measure half the width of my middle finger and make one final mark. This is where I hook onto the string because this is where the fulcrum point of my string hand will be.

I also draw a plumb line down from this point toward the floor. This is the line the fulcrum point on the string will follow if the limbs are synchronized. If it doesn't follow the line, it is being pulled toward the stronger limb and I weaken it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer