Author Topic: any gunstock makers out there?(pics of gun added)  (Read 10075 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: any gunstock makers out there?(pics of gun added)
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 09:20:19 pm »
Sorry buddy
My memory is not so good and your drawing may not be the best for jogging it !
The east german suhl would not have imported barrels normaly so it got me thinking
good thing cause I ain't so good with german marks even if I am of full blooded german descent !
The crowns with the U are Shul inspector marks not British proof marks and the crown with the W is a choke bore barrel mark
If you had a crown with an R under it would be a repair proof
These designations started in 1950 not sure how that fits into your thoughts !
If I am interpreting this right it puts you into modern gun and that may be what is up that it did not make sense to me I have not studied the modern stuff !
I think you have an east German Suhl on your hands That was ordered thru Carl Steigele Jr not Sr
Sorry I should not post from memory anymore , but will forget that fact also I am sure !
Have fun and keep digging ! You need to find those exact proof marks to get any farther
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline seabass

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 11:03:25 pm »
Karl sr. and Karl jr.,both of their names started with a K.their dads name started with a C.this is not one of the modern guns.i have seen them and they are different.i have looked at the christoph funk guns and I am starting to think that his firm may have built this gun for Carl.i am not sure yet,but this is the way I am leaning.i am thinking it came from Suhl.i still have a way to go,but either way I am going to get it restored so I can hunt birds with it.i'll never sell it so I don't care what it is worth.i am just curious.thank you so much for helping.i want to know all I can.it has my initials on it SWR.i would love to know who that is.also.they wasn't making hammer guns after 1927.this gun was made before the fifties,and if it was I don't care.it is high quality and I am going to have it restored.it is a nice piece and needs to be put back in action.thank you so much for helping me with the research.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:12:24 pm by seabass »
Middletown,Ohio

Offline stickbender

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 11:10:41 pm »
     Seabass, I did a Google search for Carl Steigle, and there is a lot of auction stuff on it, and some pictures.  I tried to copy the pictures, for the hammer gun, but this is all that came up.  But he definitely made guns for Royalty, including  a Japanese Emperor.  Anyway good luck with it, and don't skimp on the wood.  A high grade fancy french walnut, or Circassian walnut, would look great.  But there are a lot of pictures, and info on Carl Steigle.
   GunsInternational.com.....40,000 Guns For Sale
Guns International - "Bringing Gun Buyers and Sellers Together - The Easy Way"

About Us
   FAQs | Help
   Contact Us
   Gun Links

Add to Favorites
Advanced Search (Help?)

Free Registration
    Tutorial Videos
    New Today
    New This Week
    Articles
    Gun Appraisals
    Affiliate Programs
    Free Targets

Facebook

GI on Twitter

Click here to tell a
friend about us.

Griffin & Howe
Mike Bishop LLC
Champlin Arms
Classic Shotshell Co, RST Ltd.

Join the NRA

HACKER SAFE certified sites prevent over 99.9% of hacker crime.

SecurityMetrics for PCI Compliance, QSA, IDS, Penetration Testing, Forensics, and Vulnerability Assessment

Authorize.Net Merchant - Click to Verify Credit Card Processing

Click Here To View All Guns For Sale > German & Austrian Double Shotguns
ORNATE BAVARIAN 16 GA. DOUBLE HAMMER SHOTGUN BY CARL STIEGLE, JR. OF MUNICH CIRCA 1880-90.
Click Photo to Enlarge

Category - German & Austrian Double Shotguns 16 Gauge Shotguns
Guns International #: 100363531    
Lister Inventory #: 24884
ORNATE BAVARIAN 16 GA. DOUBLE HAMMER SHOTGUN BY CARL STIEGLE, JR. OF MUNICH CIRCA 1880-90.
Description:
ORNATE BAVARIAN 16 GA. DOUBLE HAMMER SHOTGUN BY CARL STIEGLE, JR. OF MUNICH CIRCA 1880-90. 29” Prima-Kruppscher (best fluid steel) barrels with 2 9/16th ” chambers and full chokes. Engraved on the rib “C. STIEGELE JUN. MUNCHEN”. Finest quality game scene and oak leaf engraving. Checkered walnut stock with horn forend barrel release and pistol grip adaptor. 13 ¼” pull over checkered steel butt plate. Coin finished locks and frame with nearly all the original finish. Barrels with all the original blue and mint bores. Stock and forend excellent with the original finish. Shows very little use. Locks in perfect working order with both hammers and firing pins functioning. The right hammer is without checkering on the face of the ear which may have either been removed or made as such but are otherwise identical. One of the finest quality German shotguns of it’s day. Carl Stiegele was maker to the Bavarian Royal family.

Price: 2,500.00

Tell a friend about this listing
See all David Condon, Inc. guns for sale
Watch this listing
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com

Contact seller
Your Name
Your Email
Your Phone Number
Type the text without spaces from the image below
into the box to the right. It is not case sensitive.

What is this?

Yes! I would like to receive news and updates from Guns International. Add don't worry -- this address will not be sold or used for promotional purposes.

Verified Seller
Platinum Seller
Company:    David Condon, Inc.
First Name:    Britton
Last Name:    Condon
ScreenName:    David Condon, Inc.
State:    Virginia
Zip:    20118
Phone:    540-687-5642
Fax:    540-687-5649
Number of Active Listings:    119
Total Number of Listings:    569
FFL Dealer:    Yes
Return Policy:    3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
5 days
Payment Types Accepted:    amex, visa, mastercard and check
     (Return to Top)

Guns International Advertising Policy
This site’s purpose is to bring gun buyers and gun brokers or sellers together by advertising guns or gun related items and services for sale online. If you are looking to buy guns in America or Internationally, you have come to the right place. Guns International makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy of the information contained in the gun classifieds, gun related or gun services classifieds listed on this site. Buyers and sellers are required to know and comply with all applicable local, state and federal firearm laws.
Sign On | Register | FFL Dealers | About Us | FAQs - HELP | Contact Us | Gun Links | Affiliate Programs | Home
© 2006 - 2013 all rights reserved. | Guns International.com
Web Site Design in Tampa Florida by BANG! Web Site Design .
Data current as of 8/17/13 at 9:36 PM EST B 70

Offline seabass

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 11:26:03 pm »
thank you so much stickbender.i will promise you that I am not going to skimp on the wood or the restoration.i am going to need some firing pin springs made because I believe it needs them.i am going to do it right brother.i looked at some Turkish walnut yesterday.i think the wood came with a loan application lol.some blanks cost 2,900 dollars.i cannot afford something like that at this time.i am thinking 3 to 4 hundred.that sould be good enough for me.i am not a rich man.and that is just for the blank without the fitting and checkering.like I said I am poor.i promise I will do this gun justice.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 03:49:49 pm »
i found a little more info on the proof marks.crown over W means choked barrel,crown over U means proof approved,16/1 is exact bore diameter and the eagle means proof tested with smokeless powder.i believe the shell length 2 9/16.and the search continues.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 05:57:59 pm »
Hope you did not think I said it was not a fine gun , I am sure it is !!
The possibility it was inspected and re tested in the 50s is valid
Hammer guns are still being built today and they are still the better guns
what good german has ever spelled Karl with a C
Where did you find the proof mark info , I need to add it to my paper work
I am still  hoping you find your answers
The fellow I had hoped to get to do the stock for you does not have time to do it and wants to retire , but when I see him face to face I will try to twist his arm for you !
Did you get on the sites I listed there may be help on them !
Take care and hope to see you soon !!!
Guy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:19:13 pm by Buckeye Guy »
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 07:00:44 pm »
That will be one fine shotty..nothing like shooting peasents with a sxs..
Thanks Leroy

Sire!
The Peasants are Revolting!!!

I Know, they Stink On Ice!
Pull!!!
Throws Peasant into the air...
Bang!!!

But really, that IS a Fine piece of Shooting History.
And the Story Keeps getting Better as the days pass.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline seabass

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 11:22:42 pm »
Guy,i just googled german proof marks and some sites came up.some guns were grandfathered which means they had to ngo before the proof houses again.i am thinking that this is a Christoph funk gun.it is marked Suhl.
Middletown,Ohio