Author Topic: Crossbow  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Crossbow
« on: August 19, 2013, 01:19:18 am »
Has anyone built a good,safe,dependable crossbow to hunt with? I looked in the buildalong section but didn't find what I was looking for. My old shoulder aint gonna take much more. Would like to build one since they want a small fortune for them
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Joec123able

Re: Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:39:39 am »
Don't know but if you plan hard use then forget a wooden prod you need a steel prod and I've seen a few nice cross bow prods made from car leaf springs
I like osage

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:27:20 am »
Howdy,   I've made exactly one crossbow, and I wouldn't quite call it hunt worthy.  Mainly I don't like leaving a wooden produce  at full draw for prolonged times, something you need to do while hunting.  The next one I build will have a commercial steel prod.  Look up Alchem crossbow parts.   Their site has some good plans, not to mention a good selection of parts for building crossbows.  Use their parts or use their drawings as a basis for making your own parts (depending on your metal working skills.)
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:24 am »
Rick steel is about the only way you're going to get a hunting weight bow.... 

I hear your pain with regard to shoulders....  I may have a crossbow I could be traded out of....  part trade??? Maybe we could work something out I've seen some of your craft work. The bow is an SZ380 ....  let me know. I hope your shoulder can be fixed....  Kip
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:34:13 am »
Rick steel is about the only way you're going to get a hunting weight bow.... 

I hear your pain with regard to shoulders....  I may have a crossbow I could be traded out of....  part trade??? Maybe we could work something out I've seen some of your craft work. The bow is an SZ380 ....  let me know. I hope your shoulder can be fixed....  Kip
pm sent
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:24:10 pm »
I think Dane has posted several x-bow threads and maybe a build along or two, he is good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.