Author Topic: Recent Project ( Junk yard treasures)  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Recent Project ( Junk yard treasures)
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:15:19 pm »
I found this mattock head  lying in the crusted mud last Spring at a rural junk yard. No idea how long it had been laying there. I should have taken pics before I cleaned it up but me and the damned camera are always too far apart when needed and my mind seems always to wander from the task..

The handle was made from an old 4X4 that I took from an old farm building that I tore down for a neighbor last year.

Anyway I thought I'd show some pics of what everyone that owns a small acreage needs when planting and needs help bustin them damned roots when planting anything near a tree line.

I trimmed the handle a little too much for a tight fit but will wedge in some osage shims and glue the surface with some MT 13 that I have remaining.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline seabass

Re: Recent Project ( Junk yard treasures)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:18:19 pm »
very cool.my favorite drawknife is a keen kutter from the 30's.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:04:57 am »
I've never had a Keen Kutter but always keep my eyes open for one. At the moment my favorite dknife is a 10" curved bade Douglas. I let go a 8" curved Pexto that was so well worn that there was hardly a blade remaining but damn if that thing didn't do the finest job on finesse work. I haven't found a replacement for it yet.  >:( i should have known better.
Matter of fact I've got 3 10" and would like to trade one off for another good 8"  should I find the right one.
I'll post some pics and then think I'll go post them for trade in the blanket tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me.
1st one is my Douglas not for trade, 2nd is a Perfect Handle by H.D. Smith,  3rd is a very rare Jackson in VG condition, and #4 is a new Ochsenkopf. #4 I've touched with a couple of stones but it's basically a virgin, petted but never used.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:31:15 am »
Cool find and nice job cleaning it up,I have one but sure don't like using it. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 10:10:51 am »
good job. I have an old Keen Kutter beveled hatchet, great steel in those things.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 10:33:06 am »
That tool would be real handy splitting woods like osage, elm and hop hornbeam into stave sized pieces.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:54:52 am »
Keen Cutter made some fine tools for sure !!
I don't remember ever seeing one of they're Maddox but have used many of they're tools , it cleaned up well !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !