Author Topic: Osage Tiller Check  (Read 5260 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Osage Tiller Check
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 11:32:36 pm »
Nice bends! Looks like you got it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 03:04:11 am »
Much better now.  :)
From now on I employ a little trick. Put your bow (unbraced) on your tillering board and trace the side profile onto the board. This gives you a definate reference to see where set is happening when you get further into the draw. Then tiller so there is zero set inner limb, a tad mid limb and the rest out to the tips. This method means you never need to hold the bow drawn. Just unbrace after you've exercised it and look where EXACTLY the set is and reduce following the above rule of thumb.
This is a real eye opener if you've never stuck to parrallel width = elliptical.....pyramid = arc of a circle.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 09:42:11 am »
Another good looking bow from Bill. You like those statics don't you? Cant blame ya'!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 09:51:24 am »
Good looking bow.Love the character. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 07:04:19 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the nice words.

mikekeswick,
I think I'll try your suggestion, It might be more of a pyramid than parallel, hard to tell on one way or the other with all of the knots and waves in the limbs.  But, it's defiantly closer to pyramid.  I appreciate any suggestions.  I always learn by doing something a little different.  Even if I don't continue using the suggestion on future bows.  I usually pick what works best for me after a few trys.  I've heard it more than once on here "there's more ways to skin a cat than one".

I'll post some finish tiller pic;s in a few days, for more comments.

Thanks again all
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Osage Tiller Check *** Full Draw Pics added****
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »
 ;DI'm befuddled......... don't understand this one, maybe you guys can help.   Please I encourage corrective criticism.  I final tillered it very slowly to full draw on the tillering tree,(top limb to the left) looked pretty good to me.  maybe a little flat spot in the bottom limb about mid limb,   Then I ended up getting my wife to take a couple of me at full draw.  It doesn't even look like the same bow!!!!  the flat spot is in the top limb and the bottom is bending more than the top.  I tried to blame my wife for the picture taking, but that didn't fly.  ;) :)  I am pretty sure that I'm pulling the string in the same spot on the tree and in the hand.  ???  the back is like a roller coaster, the whole tillering process has been a good experience.  I just thought I nailed this one on the tree.  But the money shot proved different. Any suggestions ???
Thanks
DBar

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 08:24:15 pm »
Looks good. My short osage in working on has a knarly knot on it. I like the character they add. How long is that bow?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 12:19:16 am »
Bill, is there any prop twist in the limb? Have the wife take another pic from the other side, with you facing the opposite direction in the pic. See how it looks to you from the other side. Sometimes with a little twist it can look
different depending on which side you view from. I always start checking my tiller in the mirror, drawing by hand when I am getting close to finishing a bow rather than viewing on the tree. Of course I can still mess up on tiller
with the best of em'. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 05:00:53 am »
Is the top limb maybe a little stiff about a fist off the fade?
Lovely looking stick. It's strange but for some reason I can't judge tiller on the board unless the top limb is right, caught myself canting my head looking at them  :)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Osage Tiller Check ***Full draw pics added***
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:37 am »
Blaflair,
The bow is 65" ntn and I'm drawing it about 28".   That makes me look at it a little different, I may not be pulling the bow back as far in hand as it is on the tree?

Greg,
Yes maybe a little prop twist is happening as I pull it.  I'll try and get some other pics from the other side.

dwardo,
maybe a little stiff out of the top fade, but the top fade is made a little longer to accept the cut in rest. 

The two pic are from different sides of the bow I'll try and get a couple more different / same sides.
Anyway I like the way it shoots.  The way its been raining around here it's hard to get out and shoot it as much as I need.

Thanks a bunch for the comments,
DBar   

Offline artcher1

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 11:44:40 am »
Dan, your bow is a good example of why the tillering tree is referred to as the "lying tree". With how your gripping the bow and how you're tillering using your tree, there's no way you can account for the bow hand pressure being exerted on the lower limb. I'm not sure where you placed your arrow pass, but what I see from how you're gripping your bow, 1 1/2"-2" above center would be appropriate.

Next time you try this design, get your regular string on early, tiller per design, and feel for even limb strain as you draw the bow (yes, by hand). Use a mirror often to adjust tiller if need be. Way I do things.............Art B

Don Case

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 01:27:08 pm »
One of my other hobbies is bonsai and one of the standard ways of seeing problems is to take a picture of it or look at it in a mirror. For some reason staring directly at doesn't show the problems like a mirror or a picture. This one I know about-it works.
Don