Author Topic: Show of Hands - Arrow Plate or Arrow Rest or Arrow Shelf?  (Read 10368 times)

Offline bluegill68

Re: Show of Hands - Arrow Plate or Arrow Rest or Arrow Shelf?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 12:46:22 pm »
I use a leather plate, and a floppy rest or a glued-up leather rest, but no cut ins as I have seen many failures.

I like a rest of some sort as it helps me with consistent hand placement.

Sean

Offline artcher1

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »
Cut-in myself. I've never seen a cut-in shelf fail personally and I don't think I've seen any on these Trad forums in the past ten years..............Art B

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 05:47:05 pm »
Me either Art... but ive seen a few i thought might go south  :o
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline artcher1

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 06:23:28 pm »
I remember reading in The Old Bowhunter where Chet Stevenson built bows up to  65# with 3/8" wide handles and 2 3/8" deep. Even back then they were in pursuit of a more efficient bow/arrow combination. Maybe because these ol' fellows were hunters first and archers second!    Art B

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 10:43:38 pm »
I remember reading in The Old Bowhunter where Chet Stevenson built bows up to  65# with 3/8" wide handles and 2 3/8" deep. Even back then they were in pursuit of a more efficient bow/arrow combination. Maybe because these ol' fellows were hunters first and archers second!    Art B

Yep! And I've seen his bows in person. As long as the wood is there handles can be narrow.
It's like holding a board..... Sideways
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 11:11:05 pm »
Ive always shot with a shelf or rest of some sort even if it was just an extra fold of leather at the top of the handle wrap. The trade bow i got from hunterbob this year is my first shoot off the hand bow and i have to admitt i seem to hit realy well without a rest. Will have to wait untill after hunting season to see if i'm a true convert though. ;)
Steve Bennett