Author Topic: My osage ain't yellar! (pics)  (Read 4141 times)

Offline FlintWalker

My osage ain't yellar! (pics)
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:12:03 pm »
I cut this osage a month or so ago and went ahead and split it. I noticed right away that it looked darker than normal but today I took the sapwood off and chased a ring of heartwood. It was really dark so I went down another ring, same thing...dark.  I don't mind it, I actually like it. I'm just wondering why? Is it diseased, mineral in the soil, etc?  Have any of ya'll made any bows from osage colored like this and did they turn out ok?  I couldn't get a piece long enough for a whole bow, but I got a few pieces long enough to make billets. They're pretty crooked, that's not a problem. I just don't want to invest a lot of time in something thats junk.  Here are some pics of the freshly chased back and sawn side beside a fresh piece of "normal" osage.
  Big difference.  Any opinions as to how it would be for bow wood?   Thanks, Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: My osage ain't yellar! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:19:30 pm »
Shannon, been told by many folks that the red in that wood is a good thing. I made my first out of osage that had alot of red streaks in it and it came out great. Yours looks like it is solid red, but I wouldnt worry...its still osage ;).  Get alot of that here in Mo.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:33:40 pm »
yep, thats usually really dense hard stuff.  I've made a few bows out of osage like and they all turned out great. no worrys shannon.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 11:18:53 pm »
saw filer  you struck gold !!!!!!haha thats very old growth denser hard wood ,,,the darker the better , you couldnt ask for better  !!! and keep some pics posted on the out come ,good luck

Offline bowmo

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 11:32:46 pm »
Yup, the very first osage tree I cut was like that. Some is darker than others. Like others say, tends to mean that the wood is extremely dense. Average specific gravity for osage is something like 0.76 but the carker wood can tend to be in the low 0.80's...

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:33:21 pm »
good early-late groth ratio also, I say premium.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 09:02:33 am »
The darker the better, IMO. Looks like some good rings, too. You've got a good chunk of wood there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 09:13:53 am »
Very nice looking wood.We have some that is dark and some is real light.I like the dark better.
usually prime wood. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »
I'm gonna say older large diameter tree. The one Jeremy and I harvested a couple months back looks like that on the ends but the back doesnt look that dark.  I also cut a stump of it for a stool/chopping block and it looks that dark, Matter of a fact its beautiful with the thick dark late rings and the tin lighter earlies.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God