Author Topic: Dallas Osage Cutting  (Read 4129 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Dallas Osage Cutting
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:38:02 pm »
Gus and Cipriano drove up and over to spend the morning cutting bow wood yesterday. The day started poorly with one of Gus' trailer tires going flat on the way requiring us to wait for the local tire shop to open before cutting wood.  Finally, around 8:30 we headed for my friend Thomas' place and the osage trees.  We cut 3 osage trees and then Cipriano cut 2 ERC trees that had recently died in the drought.  The only osage pictures are of the last osage tree we downed.  2 of the 3 osages hung up in the surrounding trees and had to be pulled from the base into an opening to get them down.

Gus is planning the worlds largest slingshot...

Love the look of ERC.

Gus also got a load of walking stick material.

That old Stihl has cut a LOT of osage over the years.  Cipriano's new Stihl was a cutting machine though.  Gus' and mine weren't quite as sharp.  Hot day, we nearly melted.  Thank goodness for Thomas' Kubota tractor.  Boy, did I sleep last night...and this afternoon.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Dallas Osage Cutting
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:57:35 pm »
Nice haul guys.  George, its nice to see you posting again.  I sure miss seeing the bows you make from old gnarly osage. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »
George thank you for posting the pics and thread. Had a wonderful time cutting up with you and Gus. That always makes for a great time. It was hot and we would not have cut as much without Thomas' tractor. Thank you for hosting us, the opportunity to get together, the fence post staves, the wood and the point that Diego promptly scampered away with ;D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:13:47 pm »
Thank You George!

Thank you for having us up to cut some Fine Straight Bodark.
And thanks for helping me get the flat sorted out on my trailer.
And Thank You for the Osage Fence Posts and Character Stave...

The dip in your Pool after Wood Cutting was Heavenly!  :)

Cipriano, Thank You for the Feathers, Snake Furnature and Teaching Toy for my Boys.
And Thank You for the Turtles...

It was Bloody Hot!
But we got some Top Notch wood harvesting in.
With no injuries or accidents...

Now to get everything Split, Skinned and Sealed...  :)

Already looking forward to the next Wood Cutting Party...

-gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:41:48 pm »
... and the point that Diego promptly scampered away with ;D

Cipriano

I told you not to let him see that!!!

Nice haul guys.  George, its nice to see you posting again.  I sure miss seeing the bows you make from old gnarly osage.

I've really been in a bow making funk for awhile.  Not sure why.  Still been knapping a little and Cipriano brought me some very nice looking chert.  Forgot to heat treat a batch today.  Maybe next weekend.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:46:07 pm »
Sounds like a great time and looks like a lot of fun but I bet it was very warm by the time yall got it all loaded up.  :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 12:22:02 am »
Thank You George!

Thank you for having us up to cut some Fine Straight Bodark.
And thanks for helping me get the flat sorted out on my trailer.
And Thank You for the Osage Fence Posts and Character Stave...

The dip in your Pool after Wood Cutting was Heavenly!  :)

Cipriano, Thank You for the Feathers, Snake Furnature and Teaching Toy for my Boys.
And Thank You for the Turtles...

It was Bloody Hot!
But we got some Top Notch wood harvesting in.
With no injuries or accidents...

Now to get everything Split, Skinned and Sealed...  :)

Already looking forward to the next Wood Cutting Party...

-gus

The pool was nice again today, but it's especially sweet when you're really hot and tired.  Glad you could make it.  I thought of you guys splitting and peeling when I was in the pool this afternoon.  I'm sure lazy sometimes. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline 4dog

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 12:29:52 am »
Man i am sorry i missed all that work,, but , life happens when your making other plans,,just wasnt in the cards, maybe next time fellas.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline criveraville

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:57:20 am »
Any time amigos.  Anytime :D :D  Gus, I am ready for old age now with the beautiful osage staff you gifted me with turquois inlay.. LOVE it.  The whole family did.   :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 12:59:12 am »
Gus, but I gotta share it with Minni Me >:D

Great times.  When I thanked Thomas for having us out we talked about how this was how the three of us met three years ago.  Kind of neat. 

Cipriano

Offline criveraville

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 01:03:35 am »
... and the point that Diego promptly scampered away with ;D

Cipriano

I told you not to let him see that!!!

George

I tried George.  He's too smart.  He already knows you always send a point along  ;)

Cipriano

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 02:19:25 am »
Just got done unloading the Trailer...
Sheesh... My knees are talking to me...
Hey Cipriano, ask Diego if I can borrow his Walking Stick!!!

>:D

Nice haul of fresh Bodark to season for Sticks for sure...
Got a few pieces off of a long dead section of from "The Old Man of The Forest"...
That tree may have seen the Comanche in their Prime.
The heartwood is nearly black... And hard as nails.
Beautiful.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 03:59:57 am »

Cool!  Or hot.... ::)  Anyway that is a nice haul!  Maybe the fall would be a better time to cut wood. ;)  Did you ever get Diego that shotgun?  I will send a couple more knives when I get back to Montana.  Man you guys have all the good stuff.  Osage, and good rock.  Drought?  It has rained here in Fla. since April, and it has been every day!  And still booked for this week!  The Squirrels are beginning to get webbed feet.  So are you going to show the point that Diego absconded?  I would love to get some of that rock.  Maybe when I FINALLY get settled in Montana, I can make a LOONG distance rock run.  ;D Yeah, you have to be very careful when a tree you cut is caught by another one.  I have had them fly up and back, when I cut a section to free it. :o  The supporting tree flings it back.  Nice looking haul.  That old section sounds intriguing .  Sounds like it would make some nice furniture, or tables, and chairs, blanket chests, and other items, besides beautiful bows. ;)  Stay  Cool, Oct. is coming. ;)
                                                           Wayne

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 02:53:56 am »
Looks like a good time. And some good wood.  Nice haul guys!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 02:48:55 am »
The picture looks familiar.The Osage my son and I cut about three years ago all hung up and wouldn't fall. Man those osage branches are tough. You wouldn't think that all that's holding up the tree.