Author Topic: New Guy From East Texas  (Read 2439 times)

Offline wahcheechoo

New Guy From East Texas
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:37:06 pm »
Ready to take the plunge and build my own. Got a few tools gathered just need somebody to guide me. Anybody in the Tyler Texas vicinity?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:24:20 pm by mullet »
Too many darn pigs !

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: New Guy From East Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:44:02 am »
Welcome. I live in stephenville. George is in St Paul and Gus is in Houston..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:37:11 am »
And Sterling is in Victoria, and Tower  in Beaumont.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wahcheechoo

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:53:49 am »
Thanks for the direction guys am looking forward to building some new friendships but already feel somewhat of a kinship. Have shot 21st century longbow in past and Bob Lee is just down the road and have done some guiding and packing for Randy Horne in Meeker. His brother has Hornes archery here in Texas. All very nice guys but fiberglass just doesn't get the embers glowin.WOW a reply from Mullet on first post.You truly are a an artist on your bow builds. Burnin Daylight
Too many darn pigs !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:22:59 pm »
Wow, Blush :-[. Do you still go out to Meeker? I lived in Glenwood Springs in '78 and 79. I loved it around Meeker.

Thank you for the bow build compliment.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline wahcheechoo

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:58:30 pm »
No I have been away for a few years now. I actually was almost due west of the flattops.Came home when my mother in law took a turn for the worse and she passed just before thanksgiving. She was with a Hospice company and we got the call during start of third rifle season. Long story short,my wife and I both work for the company now.Very gratifying most days. Spend my off time hunting and fishing the local haunts.Not much public land down here.Luckily my family has some land to stick a few pigs and 1or2 deer every season. cousin has a barge tethered on Sabine river bottom we use as a basecamp for ducks and run trotlines for cats. Wife said I could go back and guide and pack but a 26 year marriage doesnt need the strain. I got a couple old drawknives that a local man gave me that had the handles rusted badly but managed to turn some handles for them and make them serviceable. Advice on learning the trade or good gathering to try and go to for some tutelage?
Too many darn pigs !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:05:44 am »
You have several excellent bow builders living close to you. I'd try and hook up with them, hands on help shortens the learning curve a lot.
Or, the Tennessee Classic next May is a great place to meet a lot of people on this site and get all of the wood, supplies and help you need.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:29:29 pm »
Tyler Texas, hmm?   Used to go camping there back in '80-'81.  Any Osage in that area?
1’—>1’

Offline wahcheechoo

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 12:27:12 am »
Ah yes! I can't deny my eyes are constantly scanning the trees as I drive the backroads around here. I constantly see bois d arc trees and have seen a few while canoeing down the Sabine river on our way to my cousins barge. Just now starting to scout possible trees that might produce a stave or two. I'm thinkin I might want to start out on a piece of hickory first. Managed to find a couple pieces in slab form at a garage sale. Got a chunk of Macasar ebony also. Turned it into a beautiful natural osage bench and legs of ebony. If I can figure out how to post a picture here ill do it
Too many darn pigs !

Offline wahcheechoo

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 12:49:53 am »
Thanks for the tip Mullet. In the meantime I may try to find some suitable hickory and osage around here and just wade in.I have accumulated the necessary tools to give it a go. Am reading The Bent Stick now and am eager to get started. Just got to approach it initially in still hunting fashion. Have already realized from everyones experiences that I've read so far that there's not any room for a hurried pace.
Too many darn pigs !