Author Topic: "Blonde Bomber" Yew Bow  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
"Blonde Bomber" Yew Bow
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:34:57 pm »
Made this bow this week for a buddy in the tipi village. His first bow and my fourth behind the stave master. Yew, 63.5" nTn, 62# @ 28". Braintan handle wrap with brained rabbit embellishment (knocked off of a bow from Gordon, shhhh!). Bow shoots great despite slight deflex and small amount of set. Set taken actually helped string alignment fall right into place! The drum he gave me in trade is one I have loved for a year now and my wife and kids could not be happier to have me banging away on yet one more percussion instrument in our tipi each night, right? Tried to add mor epics but they are too big and I am a borderline Luddite, so I will have my tech savvy wife help me out on that next week.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
Re: "Blonde Bomber" Yew Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:55:42 pm »
Okay, so just realized that the pics are before the final touches, so I will add more asap. Her eis a short vid of some arrow flights from it. Critiques?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdsY0DfK5UY
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:05:51 pm »
Looks like a bit of a hinge in the bottom limb, just below the fade. Hard to tell for sure given the angle of the picture. If that bow was mine, I'd get both of the fades doing a bit more work. Tips are pretty stiff, too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:15:06 pm by adb »

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:10:45 pm »
I'd get the fades moving just a little and call it good
I like osage

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:55 pm »
Rabia is an awesome band. Me and some of my friends met those guys in new york, in their store a couple years ago. (I think it was theirs??) The black dude gave me permission to steal a pair of pants from his own store, lol. Awesome bow.  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 01:46:01 am »
nice job Michael. maybe take the advice given, may give it better performance. like to see you advancing in your bowyer skills.

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 03:06:54 am »
thanks for the pointers all! i have some newer pics after the finishing touches but they are too big to load. i will take more tomorrow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:19:23 am »
Looking good,looking forward to seeing it finished up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 09:59:36 pm »
Here are a couple more pics of this bow all finished up and being shot by the recipient. I told Wylden I would post these for him because he was having trouble with the computer stuff. I think it's an awesome looking bow and these pictures show the tiller much better than the previous "work in progress" photos.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 01:26:09 am »
Yes, sir... tiller looks way better.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 02:24:36 pm »
I was really impressed with how this bow performed.  Your are making some really nice bows Wylden!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 02:53:48 pm »
Very nice bow, the tiller looks real good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 06:46:51 pm »
Thanks Weylin for posting those pics! When it comes to this computer, I feel like when my old man tried to program the VCR...completely incompetent!

I just finished up the tiller on the Bomber's sister stave. She took more twist than an episode of Murder, She Wrote, but I got her to lay the string nicely and shoot damn quick. It makes it easier to see Tanor shooting the Blonde Bomber now that I have an equally heavy bow for hunting this fall. I will get pics of that bow up soon.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 06:54:35 pm »
Yes looks really good
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 07:40:59 pm »
Cool!  Josh