Author Topic: in a bind....  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Shondy55

in a bind....
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:18:21 am »
hey all, im in sort of a bind, i made my best bow yet for deer season out of a great piece of hackberry. its bittersweet to part with it, but my friends dad made me an offer for it and im going to college soon and need the money.  I dont have a bow to hunt with and need to make a quick and effective bow for hunting season before i go back to school....

in your opinion what would be the best board bow to make...wood, style, specs, etc. thanks!!!
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline lukelawrence171

Re: in a bind....
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:43:11 am »
Bamboo backed ipe makes a very fast bow and does not need much work you can order a kit off eBay is the best thing to do

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:27 am »
Quick and easy is a simple hickory board lo.g bow bend trough the handle. 64" long and 1 1/4" wide taper from 15" from the ends to 1/2" pin nocks. My best shooting bow was as simple as that.

My draw is 27" so you can tweak the length to adjust to your draw.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:41:37 am »
Bowman +1

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 06:02:37 am »
personally I think maple makes a better bow than hickory, it's not as sceptical to moister and I think it makes a quicker bow, here's a link to a build http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:51:27 am »
Mike K & Bowman have the right idea of a bendy for a quick bow with room for error, but if you want a stiff handled bow it is hard to beat Bubby's build a long.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA