Author Topic: reverse string to heat treat  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Ricky

reverse string to heat treat
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:04:23 am »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any info on reverse stringing a bow after floor tillering to put reflex and heat treat at the same time. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: reverse string to heat treat
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:14:42 am »
You have to somehow keep the twist out. When the wood gets that hot it likes to move. That's why a caul or something else to clamp to as you go is nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:17:03 am »
Yes reverse bracing is best used to sinew a bow. Form for heat treating.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:50:02 am »
Caul is best, but it can be a very simple "MacGyver" type thing.  Anything that will allow you to apply even pressure while heating the belly and limit any lateral movement.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:31:56 pm »
So far I've just been using the heat treating setup from the Bowyer's Bible Vol 4, you can read the chapter on heat treating on google books for free, it gives a nice setup for heat treating and reflexing without a caul. However, its very hard to get even reflex using this method, on the two bow's I've used this on, much of the reflex was induced in the mid-outer limbs. A caul is much more predictable, but you do need a heat gun to use it, unless someone has figured out how to use a caul with a hot plate

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »
Your better off using a form
I like osage

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »
I have done this without any ill effects (actually seemed to slightly straighten out a bow that was propeller twisted to begin with), but as people more experience than I have said, a caul would be better. Also, it would probably protect the back from scorching, plus you wouldn't have to hold the bow with one hand and the heat gun with the other for an hour!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 07:49:33 am »
I use a form. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ricky

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:33:14 am »
Thanks guys.. I planned on doing it primitive over a bed of coals. It's a 69" white oak bow from a stave. But I will just heat treat this one until I can make a form.. I have six more staves plus one hickory stave left from the last projects. Thanks guys again.