Author Topic: Sinew string/ knot question  (Read 1838 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Sinew string/ knot question
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:16:38 pm »
I am new to this whole sinew bowstring experience.  I strung a bow recently and when done I had one devil of a time getting the upper knot undone. 

I am used to using Diacron and the push pull method for stringing and unstringing. 

On this bow I made a small loop tied with an overhand knot.  I then pulled the string through that loop to make a larger loop that would go around the upper nock.  Traditional.  The lower limb was wrapped around the knock one time and cinched with two half hitches around the string.   

The upper limb loop tightened up something fierce on the bow and on the string. When I decided the upper knot might be too tight to loosen, I tried the lower knot.  This began to damage my sinew string on that end. I don't mean to complain.  I like for my knots to hold on and not let go when you are shooting.  But when you are done you want the string off. 

Any one out there got a work around or some advice about something I am missing?

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Sinew string/ knot question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 04:32:25 pm »
Could it be that I am not pre-stretching the string well enough before stringing the bow?

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:10:11 am »
When I make sinew string I always splice in a loop - just like making a standard flemish twist string with dacron etc...I also use a timber hitch for the other end.
Remember when making sinew strings (any natural fiber) to make the end where the knot is going to be 1/3 thicker and twist as tight as possible.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52:54 am »
As Mike said, twist in a loop for the top, timber hitch for the bottom.  After I twist up the string and while it is still wet I hang a weight from mine until it is dry.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:55:39 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.  I did the whole hanging with a weight thing.  The reason I chose not to braid in a loop is the natives tended not to do this on the plains.  Maybe this is why they only have single nocks on their bows. 

I may have to create a loop string for this bow as you describe. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:00:03 pm »
Check that.  Plenty of examples of platted loops on plains bows.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:34:01 am »
Yep it's definately the way to go with sinew.
One loop and timber hitch.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:47:01 am »
I love this site!  Thanks guys.