Author Topic: Arrows from Wild Cherry  (Read 2109 times)

Offline ncpat

Arrows from Wild Cherry
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:28:35 am »
Has anyone tried wild cherry shoots for arrows? I never noticed before but saw a cherry tree this week with pretty straight shoots.
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Joec123able

Re: Arrows from Wild Cherry
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:59:29 am »
Never have but I'd harvest them and try them
I like osage

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:39:41 am »
I haven't found a piece of cherry that will stay straight for me yet.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:12:57 am »
Black cherry shoots will make good arrows but you have to keep straightening them in my experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:03:56 pm »
I have made a set of Choke Cherry shafts in the past but didnt care too much for them, lots of re-straightening and they have a substantial pith in the center. just my two cents  :P
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 09:32:45 am »
  I've made a few through the years. I ticket to haveing them stay straight is just let them season a couple years. Age helps out with any shoot shafts staying straight. I take the time to really straighten then bundle tight. I like to use duck tap. Just put them up where the can lay flat and forget about them. I don't make any arrows unless the shoots have seasoned for 3 or 4 years. I have some shoots thats nreally nice. I'll debark and restraighten after 2 years then let them season a couple more. If I get the time.
  Doing this I've never have any trouble with shoots staying straight no matter the type.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING