Author Topic: Need warbow arrows - cross post from arrow thread  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
Need warbow arrows - cross post from arrow thread
« on: June 22, 2013, 02:04:30 pm »
In August I am going to a medieval tournament and will be participating in the archery competition. (I'm in the US and the event is in Canada.)

I make bows, but haven't gotten into arrow making. I am looking for historically appropriate longbow arrows appropriate to the 1350-1450 time period. I have (and will mount) 10 100grain bodkin points.

I'll be shooting an ELB of 50# draw weight and a draw length of 28". I know warbows are heavier and draw further, but I am recovering form shoulder problems and need to lay off the heavy stuff. The longest target is 75 yards, so I won't need to launch an arrow 200 yards.

If you could make these arrows, or know where I could get some, please PM me. I'd rather not spend a fortune shipping from overseas.

In the future I want to make my own, but I am focusing on bows right now.

Thanks!

Matt
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Need warbow arrows - cross post from arrow thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:31:49 pm »
Is there any reason you couldn't use normal shafts? The reason I ask is because you are shooting a normal bow, 50# @ 28", so the arrows would shoot best matched to the draw weight/draw length you are shooting them. If you want a big fat warbow shaft, it is going to have to be pretty long to spine to the right 50#-ish spine to shoot them, wouldn't it? Or have a very heavy head on them or something I would think to even out the spine. I don't know though, I am not really an arrow guy myself, :).

EDIT: Or do you just want some normal shafts with goose feathers and whipping?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 05:30:28 pm »
I agree, there's no point getting genuine warbow arrows if you're gonna put 100gr points on and shoot them from a lightweight bow.  They'll look a bit daft lobbing away instead of being thrown properly!

Before I started shooting warbows I used standard 11/32 shafts with 125gr mod-bods and I used 6" goose feather fletchings whipped with linen.  They looked the part, but also were practical and flew from my smaller bows properly. 

I know you said you don't wanna make 'em but it doesn't take long once you get going, will be WAY cheaper than buying them ready made, and will give a great sense of achievement.   That being said lots of websites will make you up a load of medieval arrows but they tend to charge a fortune for them.  One site here in the UK charge $200 for a set of 12 medieval arrows.

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
You have it right. I'm not looking for actual warbow arrows. I'm looking for arrows that will play the part and look good at an event while being shot from non-warbow longbow.

Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:47:48 am »
You have it right. I'm not looking for actual warbow arrows. I'm looking for arrows that will play the part and look good at an event while being shot from non-warbow longbow.

Oh, ok, sorry for complicating everything up, :). That shouldn't be too hard to find someone on here to help you out, you could also try the trade blanket section of the paleoplanet forum (just google paleoplanet). Ebay sometimes has some good deals also, some of those guys in china make nice looking arrows in the traditional english longbow-ish style.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:43:51 am »
I could probably make some cool arrows for you. Not sure on shipping
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 04:24:26 pm »
If I had points I could send you some arrows made from 3/8 th oak shafts.
Problem- turkey fletchings.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 09:58:19 am »
Thanks for the replies. I found someone to work on them.

I've also become motivated to get into arrow making. Woohooo, another hobby!

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 10:53:58 pm »
Matt decided to order a dozen arrows from me, for his upcoming event. Not war bow arrows per say... but they're meant to look the part. Here's what he ordered:

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:08:09 pm »
 I thought you could fix him up, Adam, that's a nice looking set of arrows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 11:17:07 am »
Very slick looking! What made you pick that fletch shape? 

I'm always impressed by your horn inserts.  Mine never look that clean, despite having done hundreds!  Always find the slot is too big which means pinching the two halves together, or it's at a funky angle down the shaft.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 12:12:05 pm »
I didn't pick the fletch shape... Matt did. These are what he wanted, so that's what I made him.  ;)

Offline WillS

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 02:30:04 pm »
Ah fair enough.  I'm sure you've probably mentioned this on one of your other arrow threads, but do you freehand the insert slots or use a jig? And what type of saw do you find works best? Numerous hacksaw blades taped together, or a tile saw?

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 11:05:34 pm »
I cut the horn insert slot into the end of the arrow shaft freehand on the bandsaw. I fit each horn insert piece individually, so the fit is not too tight or too sloppy. I leave the horn piece oversize, glue them in with 5min epoxy, and then trim and sand them to size, matching the shaft diameter. I cut the actual nock slot with a 1/8" diameter round tile cutting hacksaw. Works perfect. Then it's just sanding and rounding the end of the nock to make them pretty. Doing self nocked horn insert arrows shafts is very labour intensive. I think there's about 8 or 9 steps to get it right. Making the slots straight is just a matter of patience and practice.
Do you want a pictorial build along?

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 04:14:52 am »
Thanks for the info! No need for a full build along, it's pretty much exactly how I do mine, except I don't have a bandsaw.  I free-hand each insert slot using a couple of hacksaw blades or a tile saw, depending on the variant thickness of the piece of horn.  I'm very limited at the moment as I don't even have a workshop, so everything's held either in a dodgy old work bench or between my knees!