Author Topic: Sharpening a scraper without re-doing the burr?  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Sharpening a scraper without re-doing the burr?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 12:59:00 pm »
I believe it was how to sharpen a scraper without re-doing the bur. As in, quick way to sharpen scraper(belt sander or bench grinder;))
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 01:05:48 pm »
Oh OK
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline autologus

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2013, 01:24:13 pm »
I resquare with a file then use a screwdriver shank to roll a bur.  I use half a pair of Fiskars scissors as my scraper, I do have a Mystic scraper too and it doesn't peal off the wood like the scissors but it does make very fine curls for finishing up with a very smooth finish.  If I had a real scraper I would probably not be using the scissors but they work for now and I'm too cheap to get a real one, maybe when the scissors wear out.

Grady.
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2013, 04:15:08 pm »
   If your scraper just a peice of metel with a burr added. Exspecially with a belt sander it's not a tempered burr. Useing a belt sander even if your metal is tempered the heat from the sander takes the temper out of it. Exspecially if you burr gets cherry red.
     If your scraper is already tempered use a file of stone to add the burr. A file of stone won't heat the metal up so the temper stays.
  YOU CAN TAKE A PEICE OF METAL THATS HARDEN (CARBON ADDED) you can not temper unharden steel (no carbon)YOU CAN HAD THE BURR THEN TEMPER IN YOUR KITCHEN OVEN. MOST METALS 400% FOR A HOUR. LET AIR COOL TO WHERE YOUR CAN PICK IT UP. PUT IT BACK IN 400% FOR ANOTHER HOUR.  YOU HAVE A TEMPERED BURR THAT WILL LAST FOR YEARS AND MANY BOWS.
  If you don't care just keep re adding the burr with just a belt sander. It last a little while. then just redo it when it gets dull.
  This won't last a 50th time of a tempered burr.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline keef

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »
 Must admit, that I've used the cabinet scraper a lot over the past few years, and have always put the burr back on in the correct manner.. Yes, it may take a little longer, but its not like it takes an eternity.

These tools are what makes our craft special....The time and care we take to make sure everything is set up just fine

Just my 20 pence worth