Author Topic: Maple backed jatoba, 28# @ 28"...  (Read 2365 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Maple backed jatoba, 28# @ 28"...
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:56:31 am »
Here is a maple backed jatoba yall,  :). Pretty simple, sorta bland I guess... (I miss selfbows, need to procure some staves soon... I miss knots and twist and such, I should just change my name to "notenoughknots,...  ;D). 28# @ 28", 66" from nock to nock, pyramid taper, nocks are horn over purple heart. Power lam is purple heart. Held about 2 1/4" - 2 3/8" reflex. Shoots really nice, I think I like jatoba a bit better than ipe even maybe. It seems a smudge lighter maybe. I will definitely glue more up with reflex like this.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:00:59 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Maple backed jatoba, 28# @ 28"...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:08:00 am »
Feline approved...  ;D

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:14 am »
Wow another impressive piece of work very stunning job. Would like to try one of these tri lams but don't know where to start so for now I'll stick to self bows  :)
I like osage

Offline BL

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:56:30 am »
Gotta say, those tips are gorgeous.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 06:31:28 am »
You're really on a laminated bow frenzy, toomany! Nice! I can see you're getting better at this with every bow. That handle has also become your signature handle.
How do you rate jatoba as a bow wood? I have yet to work with it, but I've held some pieces that were incredibly dense.
And kudos for the cat of course! :D
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:07:44 am »
Another nice tri-lam, 2many. Love the purple heart! I have only put in 1 powerlam in a bow, but am going to have to get more proficient. Yours are looking good. How thick and long are you making them?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:34:01 am »
Wow another impressive piece of work very stunning job. Would like to try one of these tri lams but don't know where to start so for now I'll stick to self bows  :)

Thank ya!

Another nice tri-lam, 2many. Love the purple heart! I have only put in 1 powerlam in a bow, but am going to have to get more proficient. Yours are looking good. How thick and long are you making them?

Thanks! This is actually just a maple backed bow though, no core or anything.  ;D Cdpbrewer posted an awesome build along on power lams, right here:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39970.msg536441.html#msg536441

That's what I followed and used to make mine. I was making them like 20" long but the limb was wanting to hinge at the beginning of the power lam. I think they were too thick as well. This one is 16 inches long, I just glued up one that is 12 inches long also, so I shall see how that works. I have been making them 1/4" thick so far. All my handles are 8 1/2" long.

You're really on a laminated bow frenzy, toomany! Nice! I can see you're getting better at this with every bow. That handle has also become your signature handle.
How do you rate jatoba as a bow wood? I have yet to work with it, but I've held some pieces that were incredibly dense.
And kudos for the cat of course! :D

Haha, thanks! I just copied a handle of a guy on paleoplanet's red oak bow some ages ago, I forget who. And I like jatoba a lot, the bow shoots really good and is not as heavy as an ipe bow would be I think, maybe not by much but I think so. I was shooting big 30" long 3/8" shaft arrows out of it, and it was spitting em out pretty quick. It is also beautiful wood, and you can really see the grain compared with ipe. This bow is pretty light weight though, so I don't know from personal experience what it would take yet to get it to chrysal. I have been very lucky finding good lumber. I had to look through all the boards the place had, about 40, to find this board this bow came from, which was nice and straight with straight grain.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:38:29 am by toomanyknots »

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 02:30:54 pm »
wow you've been turning em out lately. Really nice bow!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.