Author Topic: Question on Hickory Bow Design  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Griffin027

• -Neosho, MO
Question on Hickory Bow Design
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:35:08 pm »
Hello,

I have recently started on building a hickory longbow after many, many months of reading TBB and going through hundreds of threads on this wonderful sight. I decided it was high time I at least get my hands dirty and try my hand at building a bow. I cut, split, and debarked a 6"-8" hickory tree and promptly sealed the ends of the 2 halves. I then decided to get a rough profile by marking center of what will be a 66" nock to nock bow, measured 2" on either side along with 2" fades. Limb width at fade is currently 2" wide and tapers straight to 1/2" nocks. My concern is, with it tapering like that was that a poor decision in regards to grain "runout"? It is a pretty clean stave, few pin knots, and hardly any grain "swirls". I would post a picture but I am currently stationed in Arkansas and the stave is in Missouri at my parents place. Thanks for any and all help! :)
~ Levi from SW Missouri ~

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Question on Hickory Bow Design
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:48:57 pm »
Hello,

I have recently started on building a hickory longbow after many, many months of reading TBB and going through hundreds of threads on this wonderful sight. I decided it was high time I at least get my hands dirty and try my hand at building a bow. I cut, split, and debarked a 6"-8" hickory tree and promptly sealed the ends of the 2 halves. I then decided to get a rough profile by marking center of what will be a 66" nock to nock bow, measured 2" on either side along with 2" fades. Limb width at fade is currently 2" wide and tapers straight to 1/2" nocks. My concern is, with it tapering like that was that a poor decision in regards to grain "runout"? It is a pretty clean stave, few pin knots, and hardly any grain "swirls". I would post a picture but I am currently stationed in Arkansas and the stave is in Missouri at my parents place. Thanks for any and all help! :)

A pic would help, but I can see what you mean about not being home;)

did you peel off the bark, and then leave that surface under it intact?
Do you mean that the limb taper lines are going to sort of cut across grain?
So maybe a grain line is starting on one edge, running off the other? If there are only one or 2 runouts, and your limbs are wide enough, I don't see a problem. I have a red oak bow like that.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:04:08 pm »
Unavoidable. As long as the grain is straight, your good.  I am assuming you are simply referring to the grain running out as the bow tapers.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Griffin027

• -Neosho, MO
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:19:06 pm »
SlimBob,

Thanks! I never really understood grain very well, but that is exactly what i was referring to. It would seem any bow that tapers you are essentially "cutting" through the grain.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »
Hello,

I started building back last December, to date I have completed 8 bows. A few of them the design you are talking about, it is a great design to start with. I would suggest making the bow at least 5 lbs heavier in draw weight than what you want. I have a few hickory bows that I built over the winter and when the humidity gets to them in the summer they lose around 5-8 lbs of draw weight. Hickory is great to start with and makes a nice reliable bow. When humidity gets high they lose a little cast but if the bow starts in the 55lb range it still works great.
Welcome to the addiction ;)
Greg

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 05:55:53 am »
The design is fine for clean straight Hickory. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:52:03 am »
if the grain is good i would go for it :)
London, England.

45#@28"

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:02:04 am »
Burn it and get your self some osage and start over  >:D

Offline Griffin027

• -Neosho, MO
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 09:26:10 am »
Thanks Guys! I will be headed up four the 4th of July so I will continue on.
Blackhawk- I have an abundance of Osage! I had my dad save some straight ones a few months back when he was clearing some fence rows for a new fence. Only problem is they are still layed up on the edge of timber and not sealed! You think they are still salvageable? I have 3 logs roughly 8" in diameter.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 09:55:30 am »
It would be well worth the effort to check and see..if they aren't riddled with bug holes,and look OK I'd grab em,split em,and since they've been on the ground it might be best to debark and remove the sapwood and seal em good,and set them in a cool place for the first few months...if they're checking on the ends and not too badly checked start your splits with your wedges in one of the main checks

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 10:30:14 am »
Sounds to me like you best spend the weekend splitting Osage the hickory will still be there after you are done splitting ! You won't know what you have if you don't get it split up to see !
You may have to split it for inside splits if the bugs are hard after it !
So pick up some shellac and start splitting and sealing !
Have fun!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !