Author Topic: Osage  (Read 1209 times)

Offline bow101

Osage
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:36 pm »
I have not had the pleasure of working with Osage yet, anyway.......... :)    Sometime I will though.  Maybe we should call this site Primitive Osage Bows:   :P   Just calling humour is all, becasue most prime prize bows are made from Osage.  I'll have to try it before I die.  ;)  Ya...yaaa....ya I know you have Hickory, Ash, Yew, Elm and all the other characters.  But from what I have read on here and other sites Osage is King of the forest.  Maybe it has the right weight and density that makes it that perfect Selfbow.?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Joec123able

Re: Osage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:32:11 pm »
Osage is the most fun wood I've ever had the pleasure of working  :P 8)
I like osage

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:27 pm »
Where are you located?  Maybe we can do something about your lack of osage  ;)  If you want to cover shipping I think I might have an extra stave.  It won't be a primo straight as an arrow stave, but there will be a bow in it.  If you live across the ocean I don't think it will work.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 10:49:45 pm »
I just saw you are in Canada.  It is fairly expensive to ship a stave across the border  :-\
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:16:32 pm »
Osage is very forgiving but very tough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:43:25 pm »
Thanks Outlaw. Right now I have bigger fish to fry.  Besides I'am not ready for doing that type of bow yet, taking baby steps....: ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 10:25:12 am »
I actually don't like osage ;) I have never made a bow from it;) And I don't intend to until I get much better at bow-making.
I think osage would be a PITA cause I have a hand plane and a hatchet... And I can't work it down to a ring, etc. thats why I like white woods.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:52:02 pm »
This sounds really strange but I have found that every piece of osage has it's own personality, unlike other common(hickory, locust, maple) woods that are just, wood......

Not having worked with yew yet, I suspect it is much like osage in the personality department as would be vine maple and several other "interesting" woods.