Author Topic: Good practice!!  (Read 4673 times)

Stringman

Good practice!!
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:46:35 pm »
The hay field beside my house got bailed last night and I couldn't wait to take advantage of the impromptu range. I asked my 6 yr old daughter to take some pics and she had a ball doing it.

We loved walking up to each bail and setting up the shooting scenario. She's such a natural with a camera in her hands.

I wanted to see how my arrows would fly thru a bit of grass shield and I was amazed.

It was a great way to test the limits and see where my strengths and weakness are. I was able to envision elk in the high country and feel confident that my skill will allow shots out to 25 ish yards.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Good practice!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 02:55:33 pm »
very nice!
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »
Man that brings back memories
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:13:57 pm »
That is awesome. How much does one of dem hay bales cost?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:17:37 pm »
For such a big "kill zone" they ain't much meat on 'em!   >:D

Should have had Iowabow there with you, you coulda been whispering in his ear, setting up the scene. "High mountain meadow, bachelor herd of bulls of assorted ages. The closest one is a mature bull, 6x7 with a devil point on the left eye guard giving the extra point, 19 yards, slightly quartering away to the left, your last day in camp, gotta be packing out in 4 hours, crunch time, it's now or never!"  Then laugh as his arrow hits nothin' but DIRT!!! 

MWAHAHAHAHAHA >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:35:18 pm »
Boy I hope that's not the way it goes.... But I'm gonna laugh my butt off thinking about it!!!  >:D

Squirrel - I think they are anywhere from $15 - $35 depending on where you're at and how good the hay is. I'm fortunate, since the field and hay belong to my grandpa.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 12:08:23 am »
Mr. Iowabow is strangely silent!   >:D

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:39:06 am »
There's no ear whispering in elk hunting!  ;) wrong reality show you must be thinking about Billy's "21 days naked in the wild".
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 09:14:44 am »
  When ever the hays baled I make a point to invole them in my stump shooting.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:51 pm »
There's no ear whispering in elk hunting!  ;) wrong reality show you must be thinking about Billy's "21 days naked in the wild".

No matter what I may think of Billy, I will not stand behind him whispering whilst he's nekkid!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 04:55:23 am »
OMG I just re-read this post.  Your 6 year old daughter photographed these. They are beautifully composed.  As long as she has the slightest interest in photography, NEVER let a camera leave her hand.  To say she's a natural is an understatement.  She's a prodigy.  Flip open any outdoor magazine and her images will compare to the best of them. OMG
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:48 pm »

I am with Hedge Apple!  Get her to a photography class, or at least talk to someone who teaches a class, and show the pictures, and any others she has taken.  Don't put it off!!  If she has a love of something like this, and is this talented already, please encourage her, and get her to a good class!  At the very least subscribe to a photography magazine, and look for Photography cubs in your area.  Ask at a camera store if there are any in your area, and any classes.  Nice  archery outfit by the way.  Bow and arrows, and quiver are nice.

Wayne

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 05:24:26 pm »
As I'm looking at the pictures I'm thinking to myself, a six year old took these???
I'm with Stickbender and Hedgeapple encourage her.
One of the first things a photographer learns about good photo composition is the "rule of thirds",fore ground/middle ground/back ground. She's doing this already, the pics are beautifuly composed.

And from the pics it looks like you both had a lot of fun.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 09:45:54 pm »
Hey Stringleberries...I just had a bad thought!  What if those elk out west are as large as these bales?  Even iowabow can hit one of those!!!

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!    :laugh: