Author Topic: Finally repaired Grampie's old bow  (Read 5694 times)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Any recommendations for FG repairs?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 08:09:52 pm »
Back from mexico.

Next attempt will be using CA gel and better clamping.
It is the belly that is delaminating, and only at that tip.

I've never run into any problems supergluing my superglue
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 12:27:15 pm »
Wanted to let you know,  I can now say I've had trouble supergluing my superglue.

I cleaned the tip with 90% rubbing alcohol and clamped it up with vicegrips and cedar shims.  It clamped up beautifully but the very tips didn't stick.  This was with a 10 minute clamp time on fresh CA superglue.

I can't think of any way to clamp that last 16th inch without crushing something or another.  Probably fates way of saying put it on the wall.

Pics later, but project is shelved.
PN501018

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »
Wanted to let you know,  I can now say I've had trouble supergluing my superglue.

I cleaned the tip with 90% rubbing alcohol and clamped it up with vicegrips and cedar shims.  It clamped up beautifully but the very tips didn't stick.  This was with a 10 minute clamp time on fresh CA superglue.

I can't think of any way to clamp that last 16th inch without crushing something or another.  Probably fates way of saying put it on the wall.

Hm... Take it to somebody who knows what the heck they are doing.
Best to do that before you screw up big time.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:39 pm »
wrap it up in sinew, doesn't exactly fit with the meterials but heck it works.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 09:03:56 am »

Hm... Take it to somebody who knows what the heck they are doing.
Best to do that before you screw up big time.

It's a wall queen now.  Prettier than it was but I still don't trust it to shoot.  Shelving a project means you're planning to leave it alone for a while.
PN501018

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 09:58:11 am »
After a period of cooling down, SUCCESS!!!

Somehow there was wax in there.  Dunno how, but a tiny, tiny drop of xylene on a scrap of bedsheet wiped it out.

First group out of this thing in at least 30 years.

PN501018

Offline Joec123able

Re: Finally repaired Grampie's old bow
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 01:03:40 am »
Wow that's really cool !
I like osage

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 02:44:13 pm »
Wow, that must have really felt good to shoot your grandfather's bow.  I'm hoping to talk my brother out of one of my great-grandfather's old steel fishing rods this summer.  He has never been interested in fishing and they are just gathering dust. 

Does it feel like this bow could go make meat for you this fall?  Modern materials aside, I would love to share the joy seeing pics of you, this bow, and meals-on-the-hoof in the Hunting Threads this fall.  I think we all would!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 11:11:24 pm »
It is more than capable of making meat if I can catch up to it.  I need to train more with therabands to build up to whatever draw weight it is.

If I am fortunate and make some meat, I will take many pictures.
PN501018

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »
Awesome!
BTW old innertubes work as well as therabands and are a heck of a lot cheaper ;)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline ncpat

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 04:15:30 pm »
If gluing doesnt' work, try heat shrink tubing. Not very primitive but may work & let you keep using the bow. Go to an electrical supply house. Buy the heaviest grade they have, 1.5 times larger than the bow tips. Heat with heat gun or torch.
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.