Author Topic: IPE?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

IPE?
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:25 pm »
I have looked around here to try to find the answer but it still eludes me. So I have to ask what is IPE?
Thank you for the reply. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline paulsemp

Re: IPE?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:07:08 pm »
it is a tropical hardwood that is commonly used for decks and benches it is very rot resistant. lots of guys make bows out of it, is commonly back with Hickory or bamboo. I believe it's also referred to as Brazilian walnut but I may be wrong on that

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »
Thank you paulsemp. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:23:57 pm »
yep it makes great bows, oily as all get out and heavy
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »
 The dust is viscous. Protect yourself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:32:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply's.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:28:43 pm »
Where a face mask with cartridges when sanding in an enclosed area. And wash your skin with soap afterwards. It will absorb the oils through your pores.

But it makes an excellent bow with less wood than Osage.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:55:51 am »
Funny story...

When I entered the bow swap last year I decided I would try a hickory backed ipe for my trade bow. I had been reading up on it and had my design all picked out. At the time, I was limited on my power tools, so when my order came in I carried the piece of ipe I ordered over to my brother's house to have him rip it into bow size slats for gluing. He keeps his table saw in the garage and it was somewhat cool outside so he left the garage door mostly closed with a gap at the bottom. I had about a 7' piece so first we had to cut about 18" off the end, and then rip it. After we made a couple of cuts we noticed this huge cloud of brown dust in the air. I looked over at him and his eyes were almost swelled shut and my head felt like it would explode. He ran over and hit the garage door opener and turned on his fan and yelled. "this wood ain't poison, is it?!?" I felt pretty stupid and said I didn't know. When I got home with the wood I went online and did some more research and found out that the dust can be toxic. We were fine and no serious damage was done, but I am very careful when I work it now. I have made several bows from it and really love the stuff. I hope I never develop any long term allergies that prevent me from working with it.

Another decking material I have recently worked with that doesn't seem as powdery when worked is massuranduba. The color is not quite as pretty, to me, but it seems almost as dense as ipe and has a little more elasticity. I get both of them from the same decking material place online.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 11:07:23 am »
Thank you all for the reply's, Lesken2011 I'm glad to hear you and your brother are ok from that experience.  From listening to you guys I think I'll stick with local wood. Thanks again Ed.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,