Author Topic: Handmade field points  (Read 2561 times)

Offline bow101

Handmade field points
« on: June 11, 2013, 06:49:18 pm »
Anyone have any ideas or know of other threads on handmade traget points..?  Have already found the one on Duplex nails. Looking for other ideas for Glue on Tips. I know they are cheap only a $4.95 for a dozen, but always looking to buck the system and make my onw stuff.
Have the blunt tips fiqured out, not primitive but easy to do and really cheap.  Old style telescopic curtain rods, white ones with brass blunt ends.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Handmade field points
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:58:39 pm »
I cut a 223 brass in 1/2 and took the top and crimped it like a blank, that worked really good. I also used the bottom for a blunt.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline ncpat

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:33 pm »
I have been thinking about that too. Crimping shell casing sounds good. I will try that myself. I new about using the primer end for blunts. What kind of crimper do you use?

Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:19:49 pm »
I have a old set of needle nose vise grips that have a wire cutter in the back end of the pliers. that is what I used to crimp it. maybe even a small pair of dikes (wire cutters).
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline ncpat

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:34:04 pm »
I should have already thought of dikes. I am an electrician and have those.
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Marks

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »
Use brass with unfired primers and that could be fun if you rig it right.  Shoot the arrow and it comes right back even faster.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 05:58:44 pm »
Use brass with unfired primers and that could be fun if you rig it right.  Shoot the arrow and it comes right back even faster.
Hahhahhahhahaah
But do you know how much a nock hurts when you accidentally poke yourself with it?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:16:30 am »
I only made a couple, but I cut some brass sheet into triangle shapes like a teepee. I then heated it and bent,squezzed and lightly hammered it around a tapered center punch. The back of the metal punch is around 3/8 inch, which is about right for river cane shafts. I then used "hot melt" to glue them on to the shaft.  I think I saw some in a book once that native Americans had made from a babout trade kettle. I think the brass sheet was about 1/16 thick. Got it at a Hobby store. I suppose you could use thin steel to make the cone points also....Good luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes