Author Topic: help with sinew  (Read 2974 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

help with sinew
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:42:12 pm »
So i got some sinew but i dont know where to start. I know bryce(pinecone) has a great building along but i cant find it for the life of me.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: help with sinew
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 04:21:28 pm »
Look in the build along Jordan
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:44:25 pm »
Try to find that build-a-long.  If you can't, send Bryce a PM.  It used to be a sticky post at the top of the page but it is gone.  There are also some videos on youtube that show sinew backing.

Here are a few basic suggestions. 

1.  Make sure your bow is a good design for sinew
2.  Use hide glue
3.  Degrease the back of the bow thoroughly
4.  Let one layer dry before adding the next  (I learned this the hard way this winter)
5.  Don't use to much glue
6.  Give it time to dry before bending the bow.

Maybe someone else can add some more.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:50:45 pm »
Here is another build-a-long. The sinew process starts on page 7.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.90.html
Gordon

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »
Pound the sinew till its white and be careful about tearing it as you separate the fibers.  Separate until the pieces are white not clear looking.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 05:35:30 pm »
This is a sinew backing how-to... sort of -
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18406.0.html
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 06:20:48 pm »
Well I guess I will chime in here. The most important of the statements made above is use Hide glue!..For sure use hide glue.
Sinew backing or lining which it was called in the older days will even help a bow that is poorly made, I personally never sinew back a bow over 52" if you sinew back a long bow it does not help the bow as much as a shorter version, sinew works the best when it is stressed and forced to stretch, a longer bow will not put the tension on the sinew backing like a short draw bow will and usually just add weight to a longer bow rather than cast. Sinew backed bows historically were made to add cast and draw to a short powerful bow.
I use to use acetone on an osage bow before sinew backing but after over 200 (two hundred) sinew backed bows made with no degreasing and no de-lamination of the sinew I am pretty sure you can get by with out degreasing the wood.
You want to make sure your wood is seasoned, score the back of the bow very well before any sinew backing is done.
I prefer leg tendon elk for my sinew backing and will take about 6 tendons to do one layer on the bow, two layers is better. You can buy tendons cheeper than back strap sinew but they require more work, I pound them with a ballpien hammer on concrete and remove the outer sheathing, this might be greasy but the sinew will not.
separate with your fingers or needle nose plyers until the tendon is separated and will pull apart looking almost like spider webbing.
you  will need to get them soaked in water  and then layed out wet for a little while to soften and stretch out.
Always apply hot hide glue to the back of your bow before sinew backing, after sinew backing wrap the bow with cordage to hold the sinew in place, you can remove cordage after two or three days.
I will end for know as anybody that has sinew backed a bow knows that a whole book can be written on the subject.
good luck with your project.

Eric

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 06:45:40 pm »
Thanks guys. Thank you bryce, that build a long is great and very detailed.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:48:54 pm »
No problem buddy, glad you find it helpful:)
Clatskanie, Oregon