Author Topic: Custom bow for my girlfriend?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Custom bow for my girlfriend?
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:58:53 pm »
Hey.  I know there are lots of great bow makes on this forum,  it's my girlfriends birthday in about one month and I want to give her a bow.  She has used my bows before and her specs are 30#@27-28" she said her dream bow would be the colors red and black. What I have to trade is flint, fiberglass sinew and rawhide that is 56" long an 4" wide. If someone could make a bow like the one I described then that would be great. I do live in the UK.  Thanks for looking
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline chamookman

Re: Custom bow for my girlfriend?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:33:37 am »
I gotta ask - Why don't YOU make Her a bow ?????????????????????????????????????????????????
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:53:40 pm »
I gotta ask - Why don't YOU make Her a bow ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

almost every bow i make breaks, so i wouldn't feel happy putting one of my bows in her hand. hence my handle "bow-slayer"
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:24:32 pm »
You might be better served finding someone in GB to build a bow for your girlfriend. The shipping from the US to GB can be steep for bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:08:43 pm »
If you will pay the shipping I will make a stiff handle elm bow for her.
Problem- I hope you can make strings?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:28:00 pm »
If you will pay the shipping I will make a stiff handle elm bow for her.
Problem- I hope you can make strings?

Yeah,  i can now make them from nettle fibers. And I done a test with my 50# longbow and it worked.  Might even work for a 60# bow. Instead of paying shipping how about I give you a straight 65" long yew branch? Thanks
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:40:53 pm »
If you're serious about this bow making thing... practice makes perfect. Don't be a wanker, make her a bow yourself.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:55 pm »
And, that's got to be a heck of a nettle fiber string for a 60# bow. I'd trade for a good scale. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:26:39 am »
And, that's got to be a heck of a nettle fiber string for a 60# bow. I'd trade for a good scale. ::)

You want to trade a scale for a string?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:28 pm »
i'm pretty sure he means you need a good scale
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 04:57:18 pm »
i'm pretty sure he means you need a good scale

I've only tested it on a 50# bow but because it feels strong.  I recon it will last well on a 60# bow. Anyone want to test this theory?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »
If you're serious about this bow making thing... practice makes perfect. Don't be a wanker, make her a bow yourself.

BAAHHAHAA!  This has got to be my single favorite British word ever!!!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 05:43:09 pm »

Nettle is up there with flax and hemp, it can be very strong, with very little stretch. If you know what your doing, this can definitely be done. But of course you need to know what your doing, I definitely can't spin a thread worth crap myself,  ;D. The heaviest bow I had successfully strung with nettle was a 45# bow. I guess you gotta know how to do a lot of things though, from harvesting and retting the raw fibers successfully without over damaging their integrity, to spinning the fibers into a quality thread, to the actual construction of the string. I need to get some more nettle, it was fun playing with, haha. I would love to see a build along...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 06:19:00 pm »
Jute fiber is also very very strong, with very little stretch.

'slayer, I hope you realize that the reason you need to pay the shipping is cause I don't have the money. I would have to sell the yew stave(and I don't think I know anyone who would pay more than $20 for it), plus it would cost you $50 to ship it to me!

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"