Author Topic: Sanitizing Feathers  (Read 31678 times)

Offline John D

Sanitizing Feathers
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:58:27 pm »
Good Morning  :)

I'm gathering goose primaries from a local park and I'm looking for advice on cleaning them.  I've searched and found dawn dish detergent suggested, however I want the goose feathers because of the natural waterproofing; will dish detergent remove the waterproofing? 

I've got em in the freezer now, but I do want to be able to wash/sanitize them, cause there was a lot of goose crap where I was picking them up.   :-\

I'm grateful for any advise you can offer.

John D.

Boise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Sanitizing Feathers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 04:52:21 pm »
Just use them right out of the freezer. That will kill any bugs that may be hanging out.  Its hard to get feathers from wild animals that arent covered in crap or piss.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:11:21 pm »
Removing the oils from the feathers is difficult, so don't worry about that part.  One washing won't hurt the waterproofing.

This is what I do:

Put the feathers in a bucket with warm water (3 gallons), with a little detergent (less than 1/4 cup), and then stir for a few minutes.  Rub any remaining, clingy dirt off the feathers by hand.  Rinse and then place on a towel to dry.  Straighten with steam.

Here's my "How to Repair Feathers with Steam" video:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNkT6QckXo
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:51:14 pm »
I put them in a freezer for a few days and then I put them in my tub of animal parts.  It has a layer of Borax on the bottom.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline John D

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:15:35 pm »
Thanks to all you guys for the tips.  I'll definitely use the steam trick; will probably double the amount of fletching material I get from what I picked up. 

John D.

Boise

Offline robby

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:59:29 pm »
I have plastic garbage bags full of goose and turkey feathers. I throw a few moth balls in with them, nothing can live in that. Never had a problem with critters.
Robby

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:38 pm »
   JACKS RIGHT you could'nt remove the water prooffing if you want to. Just like PEARL said use them right out of the freezer.
  I don't even to that. Matter offact I use'd 1000's and never really did anything. Along with turkey feathers just but them up over head in the raffters and let them until I need them. Then I'll chop or burn. I've heard of people haveing moth problems WITH LARGE NUMBERS but I've never had that here in WV.
  It dos'nt take long for moulted feathers get to cold for mites. Mites only live on the goose while their feathers are on the bird.
  Moth balls work OK as long as your not deer hunting. Then it takes a while to get rid of the smell.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:41:12 pm »
You can spray them with permanome or permithrin. That will keep the mites off for awhile.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 01:22:49 pm »
Dawn liquid dish soap is what wildlife rescuers use to remove the oil from the feathers of waterbirds that got covered in oil from oil spills. It won't remove the natural waterproofing which is a different substance from oil. If you have feather mites, go down to a pet store and get the powder used to get feather mites off of pet birds. Sprinkle it on the feathers. One thing traditionally used to protect feathers (feather fans, bustles, etc.) among Navajo people is Flat Cedar. You put Flat Cedar in a box with your feathers. Eucalyptus also works for this as a natural repellent. Waterbird crap is a lot more difficult to remove from feathers than turkey crap because of diet.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline John D

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 02:45:21 pm »
I washed the first day's gathering (mostly primaries) with Dawn dish detergent and I was skeptical when the feathers no longer shed water.  However, I am pleased to say that it was unfounded and I should never have doubted you   :D   They cleaned up well for me. 

It's important to me specifically because my oldest daughter lives with an autoimmune deficiency and it seems best to do all I can to minimize the amount of bird feces she is exposed to.  She is limited from many activities, but the doctor says its ok to shoot her bow, so we're taking advantage of that!

I've got secondaries in the freezer now and I'll go after them in a day or so.  I'm steaming the first group and its working well.  Although many of the feathers are reminding me that they were molted for a reason, but I should be able to use them just fine. 

Thank you to all for your help!  :) 

John D.
Boise