Author Topic: 1st Bow-Advice on next step  (Read 3304 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
1st Bow-Advice on next step
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:24:40 pm »
This is my first bow.  It is from a hickory log about 4" in diameter that has been drying for 3 years.  It will be a Cherokee style flatbow with side nocks.  I went to my first primitive skills gathering last weekend and got some excellent first hand help from a couple of experienced bowyers on this bow.  I was not able to finish it there.  I have evened up the front profile and the thickness somewhat.  It has 2 1/8" of reflex.  I have it floor tillered and it is bending just past zero reflex.  How much further do I get it bending before putting a string on it?  Also I need to build my tiller tree before I tiller it completely out.  Also how do you square the belly up perfectly with the sides?  I have it close but some of it might still be a little humped in middle or a little thicker/thinner on either side of limbs.  I have been using a farriers rasp up to this point on the belly.  I have scraped the sides with my drawknife held at angle to smooth them up and rounded corners a little along back.  I'm just not too sure when I should put a string on it.  I should also mention my bow scale is in the mail headed my way so I cant measure poundage yet either.  I will probably get to building tiller tree this weekend.  Right now the tips are about 3/4" wide and the handle about 1 1/8" wide.

Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bow101

Re: 1st Bow-Advice on next step
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:39:18 pm »
......... ???   do more floor tillering or use a long string... ::)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:59:11 pm »
Yep...File in some string nocks after floor tillering and go to the long string to make sure both limbs atre bending evenly.Then to your short string eventually.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40:09 pm »
Thanks guys.  I realize I kind of rambled in post and maybe wasnt clear on questions.  How far do you get it bending before putting long string on it?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:45:21 pm »
When you've got a few inches of floor bend, then you can put the long string on it and continue from there. After that, once you've tillered it out on the long string so that the tips are at least 6 inches back from the handle, it's time for the short string

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 10:05:32 pm »
I like those knots in that peice of wood hope it works out for you
I like osage

Offline steve b.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:32 am »
Cherokee,  you can put a string on it anytime.  All the long string is doing is basically showing floor tiller of both limbs at the same time.  If they are bending you can string them.  Just be aware of how far you are pulling and the current weight of the bow.  I recently finished a yew bow that I took right from slight floor tiller to short string.  Personally I go to short string as fast as possible without compromising tiller.

Carve the belly flat and the sides perpendicular.  This will create sharp edges.  Every time you want to pull on the string just relieve those edges with a several strokes of the scraper so that they are somewhat relieved, not necessarily rounded.  When you are getting close to full tiller and desired draw weight round those edges more.  And when you are sanding the belly use two thumbs just off of center of the limb, leaving the center untouched initially.  this will curve the belly slightly to those now rounded edges.  It will look better.

Run the sandpaper over the edge where the back drops over the side too, just don't round the back like you did the belly.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:43:46 pm »
Thanks steve b.!  Great information I will definitely use.  That is the kind of tips I was looking for.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 01:12:13 pm »
Also, if the stave was cut along the grain and roughed out with a centerline that divides both sides evenly, then the annual rings can be used on the belly as a guide to symmetry of the thickness of the limb acrossed it.  The bow is generally thicker at the handle and thinner midlimb so the annual rings form points or flames in the direction of the tips.  Generall you'll find you can carve on either side of a flame and make it centered on the limb and that will even up the thickness of the limb at that point.
But as the back of the bow wobbles up and down you want to work the belly so it also wobbles up and down with the back and so you keep the thickness even across the limb.  And from handle to tip the thickness slowly decreases whether there are wobbles or not. 
I don't see any real wobbles on the back of your stave so I would treat it flat and make the belly smooth and flat.

Offline sonny

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 07:20:27 pm »
someone may have said this (I didn't read through all of the responses) and I eluded to it when
we were talking on Sat.
I'd strongly suggest that you mark out the "handle" section and tiller from there out on both limbs.
You may end up thinning the handle a bit later in the process but I'd leave it that thickness for now as
I've found that it doesn't take much effort to get a bit too much bend in the handle.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:57:02 pm »
Thanks again Steve b.

Thanks Sonny I will do that.
Aim Small...Hit Small